Question Locum Tenens; direct supervision and incident to

Amylyn276

New
Best answers
Good afternoon,
We have a small location with one physician and one nurse practitioner; both of whom will be out on medical leave that will overlap. We currently have a LT covering for the physician's leave. Shortly we will be hiring/leasing a nurse practitioner to cover the employed NP's leave.

1) If the leased/temporary nurse practitioner sees a patient with an established problem and care plan (no new concerns); can we bill this incident (under direct supervision) to the Locum Physician on campus covering the medical leave for the employed physician?

I am having trouble finding the guidance on billing a leased Advanced Practitioner incident to (under direct supervision) of a Locum Tenens. We understand that the Locum Tenens guidelines cover physicians only; however how does incident to guidelines apply to this scenario since the leased practitioner will most likely not have time to be fully credentialed?

Thank you,

csperoni

True Blue
Best answers
I see nothing that would prevent billing incident-to for the NP, assuming all incident-to requirements are met including the payor recognizing incident-to.
The LT guidelines (now called Fee-for-Time) state it does not apply to NPP services, but not that it overrides incident-to.
Before potentially billing thousands of dollars incorrectly, I would contact my local MAC to see if they can provide guidance.

buss123

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hello,
Question regarding the Locum Tenens. Can the locum Tenens who is covering for a Physician also supervise for an APRN, or NP and would we still bill under the Physician that is absent?