Wiki Locum Tenens; direct supervision and incident to

Amylyn276

New
Best answers
Good afternoon,
We have a small location with one physician and one nurse practitioner; both of whom will be out on medical leave that will overlap. We currently have a LT covering for the physician's leave. Shortly we will be hiring/leasing a nurse practitioner to cover the employed NP's leave.

1) If the leased/temporary nurse practitioner sees a patient with an established problem and care plan (no new concerns); can we bill this incident (under direct supervision) to the Locum Physician on campus covering the medical leave for the employed physician?

I am having trouble finding the guidance on billing a leased Advanced Practitioner incident to (under direct supervision) of a Locum Tenens. We understand that the Locum Tenens guidelines cover physicians only; however how does incident to guidelines apply to this scenario since the leased practitioner will most likely not have time to be fully credentialed?

Thank you,

I see nothing that would prevent billing incident-to for the NP, assuming all incident-to requirements are met including the payor recognizing incident-to.
The LT guidelines (now called Fee-for-Time) state it does not apply to NPP services, but not that it overrides incident-to.
Before potentially billing thousands of dollars incorrectly, I would contact my local MAC to see if they can provide guidance.

Hello,
Question regarding the Locum Tenens. Can the locum Tenens who is covering for a Physician also supervise for an APRN, or NP and would we still bill under the Physician that is absent?