Wiki Locums

adriennedolezal

Networker
Best answers
I need help trying to figure out if my practice can bill for locum providers for a provider that is leaving our company while we work to replace the provider? We bills for professional services 99305-99316. I know we can only bill 60 days and use the Q6 modifier but the rest is fuzzy. Anyone have experience with this?

You can bill a Locum provider for 60 days under the physician that is leaving. The provider that is leaving must be an MD or DO, and their replacement must also be and MD or DO. You cannot bill NPP as a lucums.

You can bill a Locum provider for 60 days under the physician that is leaving. The provider that is leaving must be an MD or DO, and their replacement must also be and MD or DO. You cannot bill NPP as a lucums.

That’s what I was thinking. As far as the billing though it’s still ok to bill under the provider no longer with us for the 60 days with the Q6? Is there a time overlap of the locum or can’t bill till provider is no longer with us officially?

Yes, you may bill under the leaving providers name for 60 days. The locum cannot bill until the provider who is leaving is gone. The locum is just a temporary replacement for a provider who is leaving, on vacation or otherwise can't see their patients.