Wiki Long-Term Use of Drug ICD-10 Dx Codes Cheat Sheet?

Best answers
I was wondering if anyone has a comprehensive cheat sheet they'd be willing to share that displays specific medications/drugs that fall under each Z79.- subcategory (not just the examples provided in the ICD-10 release itself such as Trulicity & Azathioprine)? I'm being more cautious about using Z79.899 since the Z79 changes eff 10/01, but I'm tired of having to google drug classes for long-term medicines I'm not familiar with. For instance, I don't know what specific drugs fall under the categories called mitotic inhibitors, alkylating agents, bisphosphonates, and calcineurin inhibitors- other than the official examples given (which don't help me much).
I think it's bizarre that there still aren't dx codes created for long-term use of blood pressure meds as well as regular analgesics like Tylenol!

Last edited:
Hi
Did you know in back of current ICD10 manual is a list of medications and coordinating Z codes? Also at times Goggle info to help you figure out the details but always check in the CPT manual and ICD10 for more data. Google those specific drugs mentioned above help you.
I hope helped you
Lady T:)

Hi
Did you know in back of current ICD10 manual is a list of medications and coordinating Z codes? Also at times Goggle info to help you figure out the details but always check in the CPT manual and ICD10 for more data. Google those specific drugs mentioned above help you.
I hope helped you
Lady T:)
Thank you! This is very helpful, I didn't realize the ICD-10 manual had the appendix with these codes. However I only have a 2022 ICD-10 code book and I can't afford the new 2023 book at the moment. Do you know if the Long-Term Use of Drug appendix can be found online anywhere, or if someone has it to share? Thanks again! :)

Hi Ratty:)
It should be in back of each ICD10 manual in Appendix section list of medications of corresponding block dx Z79 codes. Goggling your meds mentioned above seem to be associated with Cancer and immune disorders like Lupus, Eczema or Myositis. However you need to use the dx given by the provider on this issue. My providers do list medications in record but also write in these meds associated with certain ds to aid the coder. And you know the coder's mantra...not documented not done.
Have a good day!
Lady T:cool:

Hi, Z79.899 is something I would clearly focus attention on. There were clearly several updates. I had to research multiple websites to fully understand what each ICD codes represented which prescriptions (both generic and not) and so forth. The ICD book is "not ALL inclusive" for every prescription drug. It is clearly missing stuff, AND I am not clearly complaining here. "It is a work in progress", so as coders we research this to death and wait for the rest. We can all be patient okay.
Best,
Dana Chock, CPC, CANPC, CHONC, CMPA, CPB, RHIT