Wiki Looking for advice from coders about getting first coding job.

Best answers
Hi, My name is Eugene Cooper, and I just graduated from College in a Medical Coding program. Since most of you have been through this process, I was looking for advice on methods to gain employment. I have been told by coding instructor (who is also a full time medical coder) that if I have no experience in medical coding, I should look at medical office jobs to gain entry, then work my way into a coding job. I have done 2 internships working with an Electronic Medical Record database in one of them, but that is it for now. I am a member of AAPC and I will be attending my first chapter meeting on Tuesday July 18th, which I am looking forward to gaining a "live coder network". But a virtual network via computer is just as valuable to me. If anyone has any advice for me, I would appreciate it very much, and since I am so green at all this, forgive me if I show some ignorance to how to go about things, but it's been nothing but learning how to gain valid networks, and job hunting since graduating from college. I was able to attend college because I am receiving Social Security Disability, and am going through the Social Security's Ticket to Work program, which with my state vocational rehabilitation, helped me go back to school to receive my certificate of proficiency in medical coding, and they will also help with paying for my certification as well, but I want to become employed and gain medical experience first due to many personal reasons. I am looking forward to meeting and hearing from anyone who can give me solid advice on how to get started, because once I do become employed, my CPC-A certification is my next priority. Thank You Very much, Eugene Cooper

I don't think there's any real magic to it. I've just been applying to my local medical places as I see coding jobs pop up and have been lucky enough to get one interview so far in my 2 months of looking. They will either be interested in you or they won't. The best tip I can give you is make sure your resume is up to snuff. I hadn't changed a thing, except job history, on my resume in years and wasn't getting any bites. I changed it around a bit with my wife's help and that's when I got my first interview. Coincidence?

Last edited: