Wiki Looking for experienced oncology coder to tutor me for fee..

tutor sought

Hi
I would like to get into coding oncology...All my experience is in mental health.
I feel if I could learn how oncology works then employeers would give me a chance
I purchased a book on ICD 10 and oncology and am reading that..Its the CPT side that I know nothing about

Judy

Judy,

Is there a large demand for oncology coders in your area? I have worked in oncology 10 years and have not seen that many oncology specific jobs. Often it get bunched in with the other facility charging and coding. Our practice has billing staff that does all of the oncology charges, billing and coding separate even though we are part of a facility. There are both medical oncology and radiation oncology practices. Some, like the one I work in, does both. Medical oncology requires knowing how to apply CPT codes for visits, procedures such as bone marrow biopsy/aspiration and rhinolaryngoscopy, infusions and injection both therapeutic and chemotherapy, blood transfusions or phlebotomies, hydration, Blood draw from implanted ports, PICC or Hickmans, and prolonged chemotherapy services. You will also need some knowledge of the drugs being given.

I am not trying to discourage you. I had worked in oncology for about four years before I got my certification. Often billing and coding kind of go together and it does take a while to learn. AAPC has a course, study guide and practice test. Another group called Coding Strategies, Inc does seminars on both medical and radiation oncology. Their "Navigator" books were a big help to me when I started and we still go to their seminars and buy the Navigators for yearly updates and changes in the specialties. These are respected sources. There are some other groups out there that give training but I would not trust them as reliable sources for education. Certification Coaching (cco.us) is a GREAT learning resource and has a lot of free information on their website. They do not have an oncology specific course at this time but who knows, they may in the future. There is still great information on their site regarding getting your first job in coding, and E & M information, etc. and they are excellent at providing great training.

I could help answer questions and you are welcome to email me privately. Do you have a CPC or other credential?

Rhonda

Rhonda

Hi Rhonda
I did write you off board thanking you for all the info and your time..It was very much appreciated. Not sure if you got my message
but wanted to say thank you either way

Judy