Wiki Looking for most common ICD-9 codes - common diagnoses

KeriH423

Best answers
I'm instructing ICD-9-CM to a class of non-coders that will be seeking front office jobs and am hoping someone can provide me with a list of the most common diagnoses for each specialty. I have them for one month and can't cover all of it! I would be very grateful for any help!

I am not too sure that a list like that is going to help. I do radiology and trauma and could give you 10 of the most common that I can think of off the top of my head, but you would have to consider subspec and varies areas .. i.e / RAD can have 10 general dx's, but if one of your non coders goes into CT/MRI facilities they may only see those codes every once and awhile, whereas someone in Ultrasound will see 10 different sets of codes. Maybe you should stay away from the codes themselves and teach ICD-9CM in the form of the rules and guidelines, using the book, CDC data collections, etc. Here is the link for the CDC guidelines that were recently updated - it's 107 pages and should give you enough material to teach the principles of ICD-9 and how to manuever the OVERWHELMING book - works like a charm for me. If they are only going to be doing front office than they only need to know the theory and principle of ICD-9 not how to be a coder! (if you can't tell I have been in your position, and it isn't as hard as you may be thinking that it is. ;) ) If you need any more suggestions let me know.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/icd9/icd9cm_guidelines_2011.pdf

Carrie