Wiki Looking to start new profession as biller/coder

gregdorothy

Best answers
Hi everyone. My name is Greg and I just passed my CPC with an apprentice designation. I don't have any prior coding/billing experience, I do have a billing certificate completed from a Community College. At my last job I was a Financial Analyst for a large Insurance Co. I wanted to get some thoughts and opinions about how easily would it be for me to get a job as a biller/coder in a hospital or a private practice without prior experience. I live in a Chicago suburb. If there's folks out there in similar position that have recently been hired, your input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Welcome to the club! Awesome that you passed your exam. Breaking into this field with no experience can be tough at times. You may need to volunteer your services, or try project Xtern, to get some experience.
Another option is to get your foot in the door at a hospital in another capacity. I hired on as a part time registrar and worked my way up to billing for physician services, then on to hospital outpatient coding. (I did parlay my customer service expereince with a major health insurance company and subsequent hospital billing experience to even get in the door) Persistance pays off. I achieved it in a VERY small rural community, so I would expect that you can do it where you live.

Best of luck to you.

Welcome Greg :D

I also went the route you did. I did a 9th month program for billing and coding. After I graduated, it was a little rough trying to get someone to hire me. I first started off at a chiropractor's office. I was totally lost there, but so what the rest of the staff. I later got hired at a pediatric office and loved it! I am now is Cardiology and loving it too. If I were you I would just start sending out your resume. One thing that I've always done when job hunting is just break out the phone book and start faxing my little heart out. I've never found a job by an ad, its always been by luck from one of my random faxes......lol. Good luck to you :)