Wiki Low Birth Weight Codes

klamm

Networker
Best answers
I code pedi specialties, many of the problems stem from the child being born premature. Would it be appropriate to assign codes from the 765.0X and 765.2X section to a toddler or a teenager or are these codes for newborns only? Is there another dx code that can be assigned to clarify that the child was a premie?

Thanks
Klamm

I code pedi specialties, many of the problems stem from the child being born premature. Would it be appropriate to assign codes from the 765.0X and 765.2X section to a toddler or a teenager or are these codes for newborns only? Is there another dx code that can be assigned to clarify that the child was a premie?

Thanks
Klamm
If the condition is related to the Prematurity then code the 765X See Coding Clinic of 1st quarter 2009 Below-- I think the V codes are status codes for when a condition may not be referenced as due to prematurity but low birth weight is noted. any thoughts?

Question:

A 6-month-old child is seen for a routine well child exam. The physician records, “well child, ex-preemie.” How should this encounter be coded?

Answer:

Assign code V20.2, Routine infant or child health check, for the well child exam. Assign code 765.10, Other preterm infants, unspecified weight, since the physician indicated that the prematurity was a contributing condition but had not listed the weeks of gestation.