scalles0

New
Best answers
I encounter this interesting DX yesterday & I want to get your opinion on it:

LBP [lower back pain] c̅ L3-L4 levoscoliosis, c̅ (R) radiculopathy + retro/anterolisthesis

How would you code it? And why those codes?

The DX provided is somewhat vague. I will try to explain as much as possible..

Levoscoliosis is a kind of scoliosis where your spine twists and curves toward the left side of your body in a C shape. Sometimes, your spine will form an S shape, with a right arc — dextroscoliosis — and a left arc — levoscoliosis. (“levo” means left).
Unlike other types of scoliosis (i.e. Idiopathic, Neuromuscular), there are no specific ICD-10s that indicate Levoscoliosis. So you can use M41.8X - Other forms of scoliosis, where "X" would specify the region.
Since you mentioned lower back, I assume you would use M41.86 (Lumbar) or M41.87 (Lumbosacral).

Spondylolisthesis is the condition of one vertebra slipping over the vertebra below it. Anterolisthesis means it slipped forward, or anterior in direction. Retrolisthesis means it slipped backward, or retro- in direction.
I am unsure how the DX indicated (retro/anterolisthesis) would include both retro & anterior slip of vertebra, but both are forms of spondylolisthesis, and to my knowledge, would have the same ICD-10 M43.1X; that is M43.16 & M43.17 for Lumbar and Lubmosacral respectively.

The DX provided is somewhat vague. I will try to explain as much as possible..

Levoscoliosis is a kind of scoliosis where your spine twists and curves toward the left side of your body in a C shape. Sometimes, your spine will form an S shape, with a right arc — dextroscoliosis — and a left arc — levoscoliosis. (“levo” means left).
Unlike other types of scoliosis (i.e. Idiopathic, Neuromuscular), there are no specific ICD-10s that indicate Levoscoliosis. So you can use M41.8X - Other forms of scoliosis, where "X" would specify the region.
Since you mentioned lower back, I assume you would use M41.86 (Lumbar) or M41.87 (Lumbosacral).

Spondylolisthesis is the condition of one vertebra slipping over the vertebra below it. Anterolisthesis means it slipped forward, or anterior in direction. Retrolisthesis means it slipped backward, or retro- in direction.
I am unsure how the DX indicated (retro/anterolisthesis) would include both retro & anterior slip of vertebra, but both are forms of spondylolisthesis, and to my knowledge, would have the same ICD-10 M43.1X; that is M43.16 & M43.17 for Lumbar and Lubmosacral respectively.

Thank you, that was really informative