Wiki Lower border mandibulectomy for vascular access

hbair99

Networker
Best answers
The particular surgery in question is done by two sets of surgeons. Panel 1 is the one I am coding for. They performed a mod rad neck dissection 38724, pectoralis major flap 15732 and lower border mandibulectomy for vascular access. This part was done so the other surgeons could do a carotid artery resection. Nothing was done to the bone for the removal of lesions, cysts or other osteo issues, just to remove some bone that was in the way. Can this be billed or would it be included with other procedures? The other coder in the office wants to use 21044 removal of malignant neoplasm of mandible. I Would love your insight. Thanks

If there was no malignant neoplasm to remove, then you cannot bill 21044. Depending on how the operative report reads, you may be able to bill 21025 - Excision of bone (eg, for osteomyelitis or bone abscess); mandible, but if there was no abscess or infection and it was only for access, it is generally bundled into the other procedures.

Hope that helps!

Thank you, I was thinking since it was only done for access it would be bundled into the other procedure.