Wiki Lower Extremity Cath Placement and Revascularization

Robbin109

Expert
Best answers
Dr. Z question ID # 4035

Question: If the right CFA is accessed , cath goes up and over the left SFA and images, then pull back to the right iliac and fix- do I get to code my 3rd order cath placement for left SFA via RCFA?+

Answer: Yes, you can report 36247-59.

This was answered in 2012 after the new codes came out regarding the new guidelines.

However his guidebook says: "DO NOT report catheter placement codes for catheterization of an ipsilateral extremity vessel when via the same access as the revascularization procedure (37220-37235).

Which are the guidelines I have always followed. Is anyone coding the cath placement if it moves beyond the point of revascularizing into a different vascular family in the lower extremity?

Dr. Z question ID # 4035

Question: If the right CFA is accessed , cath goes up and over the left SFA and images, then pull back to the right iliac and fix- do I get to code my 3rd order cath placement for left SFA via RCFA?+

Answer: Yes, you can report 36247-59.

This was answered in 2012 after the new codes came out regarding the new guidelines.

However his guidebook says: "DO NOT report catheter placement codes for catheterization of an ipsilateral extremity vessel when via the same access as the revascularization procedure (37220-37235).

Which are the guidelines I have always followed. Is anyone coding the cath placement if it moves beyond the point of revascularizing into a different vascular family in the lower extremity?
36247 would be for catheter placement in the contralateral side so I would code it also.

36247 would be for catheter placement in the contralateral side so I would code it also.
The catheter placmeent would be the same side as the revascularization, just beyond the intervention performed. The cath access is almost always on the contralateral side.

The catheter placmeent would be the same side as the revascularization, just beyond the intervention performed. The cath access is almost always on the contralateral side.
You have it listed as access from the right. Cath placement in the left SFA for AO and then pull back for right side intervention. Is that not right?

Catheter placement happens on the left, he moves it over to the right side for intervention and angiogram . This is pretty typical. My question is about moving past the point of intervention into a different vascular family in the same leg.