Wiki Lprd

Sephardic

Networker
Best answers
I know there has been some discussion about the code for LPRD. I asked the AHA coding clinic in march of 2015 what is the correct ICD10 code for this. I finally received my response in the mail today. They are stating the issue was resolved by the Editorial Advisory Board for Coding Clinic and will be published in an upcoming issue. The correct code is K21.9
A little surprised at the answer. I've always thought it wouldn't fall under the code for GERD. Shocked that I could ask them a question free of charge. :)

"Laryngopharyngeal Reflux - It's Not Gerd"

http://www.medfusion.net/templates/groups/5105/8853/LPR_ Its_Not_Gerd.pdf

From the article:

"Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) and gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) are different disorders. The term LPR is used to describe the acid in the stomach that comes up into the troat at the level of the laryngopharynx. LPR causes irritation and changes in the larynx. GERD is caused by the backflow of gastric contents into the esophagus which leads to tissue damage or esophagitis and heartburn."

The article is very informative noting that the two have different sypmtoms and origins. Based on this information I have been using J38.7, Other diseases of larynx, for patients whose symptoms are isolated in the larynx, and/or those do not have GERD documented. I've not had any problems receiving payment using this code with either laryngoscopies or esophagoscopies done in the ASC setting. I'm surpised that there still isn't a separate code for this given all of the documentation stating that it is not the same as GERD.