Wiki Magtrace

scsmyers

New
Best answers
I work for a hospital in Virginia and they are using Magtrace and want to charge for the drug/oxide solution they inject. I found on the CMS forums that CMS will not assign a HCPCS for Magtrace claiming it is included in the CPT for the procedure. Magtrace can be injected up to days ahead of the surgery and the facility want to charge for injections that are on another day than the surgery, however I would believe CMS would still consider as bundled with the surgery. What do you think and do you charge for the solution?

Attachments

• A0194DD7-C76F-4CBF-B79D-DB6EF7054D5E.jpeg
    A0194DD7-C76F-4CBF-B79D-DB6EF7054D5E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
The article you've attached here is the preliminary recommendation, in response to an application, of the committee regarding whether or not to adopt a new HCPCS code. This isn't regulatory guidance on whether or to code or bill for the item. (Incidentally, this was published in June, 2020, and there is a more recent publication from December of that year with a revised recommendation to refer the item to the AMA for the creation of a new CPT code for use in reporting the injection service done in advance of the procedure, as you describe. You can find this document here: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/...gical-items-and-services-december-21-2020.pdf)

I'd also add that the committee has not stated in either case that it considers the item 'bundled' (which is a coding concept that would apply only to reporting of items or services provided in the same encounter and/or on the same date of service), but rather that the payment for the item is included in the payment for the procedure in which it is used - for hospital purposes, this would be considered a 'packaged' item, not bundled, under OPPS reimbursement methodology. Per CMS guidelines hospitals "should report charges for all drugs, biologicals, and radiopharmaceuticals, regardless of whether the items are paid separately or packaged" (see Medicare Claims Processing Manual- Chapter 17, section 90.2), so it should definitely be charged and reported on the claim as a hospital cost, even if separate payment is not expected.

I'm not able to find any more current information than these documents so I don't have a definitive source to back this up, but in my opinion it's appropriate and correct to charge for this - my recommendation would be to use an unlisted code for both the product (if required on the revenue code) and the injection procedure until such time as a more specific code is create and/or additional guidance is given. Hopefully that makes sense and will help some.

Last edited:
The article you've attached here is the preliminary recommendation, in response to an application, of the committee regarding whether or not to adopt a new HCPCS code. This isn't regulatory guidance on whether or to code or bill for the item. (Incidentally, this was published in June, 2020, and there is a more recent publication from December of that year with a revised recommendation to refer the item to the AMA for the creation of a new CPT code for use in reporting the injection service done in advance of the procedure, as you describe. You can find this document here: https://www.cms.gov/files/document/...gical-items-and-services-december-21-2020.pdf)

I'd also add that the committee has not stated in either case that it considers the item 'bundled' (which is a coding concept that would apply only to reporting of items or services provided in the same encounter and/or on the same date of service), but rather that the payment for the item is included in the payment for the procedure in which it is used - for hospital purposes, this would be considered a 'packaged' item, not bundled, under OPPS reimbursement methodology. Per CMS guidelines hospitals "should report charges for all drugs, biologicals, and radiopharmaceuticals, regardless of whether the items are paid separately or packaged" (see Medicare Claims Processing Manual- Chapter 17, section 90.2), so it should definitely be charged and reported on the claim as a hospital cost, even if separate payment is not expected.

I'm not able to find any more current information than these documents so I don't have a definitive source to back this up, but in my opinion it's appropriate and correct to charge for this - my recommendation would be to use an unlisted code for both the product (if required on the revenue code) and the injection procedure until such time as a more specific code is create and/or additional guidance is given. Hopefully that makes sense and will help some.
Does anyone have any more updated information regarding Magtrace? I am working in an ASC and trying to figure out if this is an injection that would be considered part of the sentinel lymph node procedure or if there is now a HCPC code that is billable and payable?
Thank you,
Mary Adamo CPC
Day Surgery at RiverBend
Springfield, OR 97477

It looks like CMS approved A9697 for Magtrace in October 2023 however it is a packaged service and it shows recommended rev codes to be 254, 255 or 636 the description states it is for injection, carboxydextran-coated superparamagnetic iron oxide, per study dose. What procedure code for the actual injection would we use?
Ultrasound guidance of a 21 gauge needle placed the magtrace seed in the satisfactory position and 1.0 cc of magtrace was injected,
would we charge 38999 and 76942 or when placed in the breast 19285?