• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Important Note: We will be performing important server maintenance on 15 July 2020 , during which time this site will be unavailable for approximately 2 hours. If you are in the middle of something critical , please save your work. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Question Major vs. Minor Surgery question

amowens854

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

Can you tell where I can locate the criteria required to determine major vs minor surgery in the management options of the table of risk in the medical decision making component?

I’ve reviewed 1995 & 1997 E&M guidelines, global surgery info by CMS (CCI edits Chapter 9), searched the internet and asked Supercoder for clarification on the matter with very little results.

I understand the level of risk is determined by the higher of presenting problems, diagnostic procedures ordered or management options selected.

nhcoding

New
Best answers
Hi amowens854,

To determine whether a surgery is major or minor depends on the global days for the certain procedure. 90 global days is major. 0-10 global days is minor. MLN(Medicare Learning network) global surgery fact sheet. Hope this helps.

amowens854

Contributor
Best answers
Thank you. I was aware of that information. My coworker was trying to find more information about what else comes into play for the MDM in a minor and major surgery. I believe that she is reading into it too much and use the global days for minor or major then if there are associated risk or not.
Thank you so much.

Pathos

True Blue
Best answers
I think what nhcoding is referencing is a good rule of thumb to determine the Minor/Major surgery in the Risk Table. Otherwise you are over-complicating on something that is not always black/white.