Wiki Major vs. Minor Surgery question

amowens854

Best answers
Hello,

Can you tell where I can locate the criteria required to determine major vs minor surgery in the management options of the table of risk in the medical decision making component?

I’ve reviewed 1995 & 1997 E&M guidelines, global surgery info by CMS (CCI edits Chapter 9), searched the internet and asked Supercoder for clarification on the matter with very little results.

I understand the level of risk is determined by the higher of presenting problems, diagnostic procedures ordered or management options selected.

Hi amowens854,

To determine whether a surgery is major or minor depends on the global days for the certain procedure. 90 global days is major. 0-10 global days is minor. MLN(Medicare Learning network) global surgery fact sheet. Hope this helps.

Thank you. I was aware of that information. My coworker was trying to find more information about what else comes into play for the MDM in a minor and major surgery. I believe that she is reading into it too much and use the global days for minor or major then if there are associated risk or not.
Thank you so much.

I think what nhcoding is referencing is a good rule of thumb to determine the Minor/Major surgery in the Risk Table. Otherwise you are over-complicating on something that is not always black/white.