Mantoux Test ????

lapcpc

Networker
Best answers
When billing out for the mantoux test using code 86580, is it appropriate to bill out a 90772 (injection) or 90471 (vaccine administration)? This question has come up with our nurses and I want to give them accurate information. Please help!!

Lori :

noell426

Contributor
Best answers
Mantoux Tests

Our office bills 99211 and 86580 for the intial injection day and we do not bill for the reading day. I don't think 90471 would be appropriate since a TB test is not a vaccination. Also, I believe 90772 can only be billed when there is direct physician supervision.

MJ4ever

Guru
Best answers
I would also bill a 99211 with 86580.
It is not coded with an administration CPT code.
The reading of the results is included in the first visit of the administration.

lisamilo

New
Best answers
Manatoux

In our offices we do not bill 99211 with 86580 since it is considered a lab test. When the patient comes back for the reading, for record keeping purposes, we use modifer NC with the 99211. This way we have a recorded visit as well as the chart note for proof the patient had the reading done.

dmaec

True Blue
Best answers
we do not charge an office visit for a mantoux - not when it's done, and now when they come back for the read - documentation is there for both services - but only the 86580 is billed/coded out on the initial date.