Wiki Massage Therapy Billing

soc1717

Contributor
Best answers
Hello, I was speaking with my Massage therapist today and she was having an issue of a few items being paid since she is not a PT. She handles some Auto claim for accidents and work Comp case. This is not my area of coding so I thought I would reach out.
She was trying to see if 97112=- Neuromuscular Reeducation Treatment- This was denied on her claim since she is not a PT, is there another code she could use?
Next is heating packs?
LLLT- Low level Laser Therapy?
And lastly Infrared Sauna Vibration Plates or Moving plates?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time,

States will have their specific massage therapist realm of practices. Look up the realm of practice for a massage therapist in your state. Most massage therapists have the credentials to perform massage on soft tissue. Many of the physical medicine modalities may be out of their realm of practice. Treatment given by a massage therapist should be billed with the therapeutic procedure CPT code 97124, "massage, including effleurage, petrissage and/or tapotement (stroking, compression, percussion". The AMA indicates therapeutic procedures can be performed by a "Physician or other qualified health care professional" but the qualification would be described in the professional's realm of practice for their state.

States will have their specific massage therapist realm of practices. Look up the realm of practice for a massage therapist in your state. Most massage therapists have the credentials to perform massage on soft tissue. Many of the physical medicine modalities may be out of their realm of practice. Treatment given by a massage therapist should be billed with the therapeutic procedure CPT code 97124, "massage, including effleurage, petrissage and/or tapotement (stroking, compression, percussion". The AMA indicates therapeutic procedures can be performed by a "Physician or other qualified health care professional" but the qualification would be described in the professional's realm of practice for their state.
Thank you for your reply.