Wiki MCHAT in addition to ASQ-3 and well child visit.

mrdave

Best answers
We have been doing developmental screening during well child visits using the Ages and Stages Questionnaire (ASQ-3) at the 4, 9, 18 and 24 month checkups. We also do autism screening using an instrument called MCHAT for children during 18-month WCC visits. Are there codes providers can use that will garner additional reimbursement for these assessments? If there are particular documentation requirements or elements that need to be included in notes, please let me know and I’ll pass along that information to my providers. Thanks for your help.

developmental screenings

Yes for the developmental screenings, including the MCHAT. you can report code 96110. Watch your payer reimbursement policies to learn which plans pay and which do not. There are also usually maximum allowable unit edits that limit to two units per date of service. It was never intended that these services would require interpretation and report but the CPT introductory text for the neurodevelopmental testing codes indicates this is required for the testing codes and some plans apply that to the screening codes as well. This is limiting since no interpretation is really required since clinical staff can score the screening instruments and then the physician compares the score with their findings to determine if there are any concerns for developmental delay. You may have to append modifier 25 to your preventive service or other E/M code on the same date (check payer edits). I hope that helps. Cindy

May drop to pt deductible or out of pocket

Also be prepared for certain payers in our state this drops to pt liability and we spend all day explaining over and over to parents that the codes are allowed to be billed in addition to the well check physical exam. To cut down on parent upset, we have added a typed disclaimer to the form stating its a billable service that may not be covered in full. The copyright owners stated as long as we didnt obscure the copyright it was allowed.