Wiki MCR and Routine foot care modifiers ? again ?

GJackson

Networker
Best answers
I have a question about MCR patients and those routine foot care codes ? i understand if they meet Q7,Q8 or Q9 and appending those modifiers. or GY OR GA etc. I get conflicting answers on this question ? IF the patient has a DM diagnosis and has a covered diagnosis am do you have to use a modifier to get it paid ? Here's an example ?

I am doing 99203-25 and 11721 (nail Debridement) with a diagnosis of L60.3 Nail Dystrophy and E11.42 DM w/polyneuropathy and E11.40 DM w/neuropathy, Unsp.
So the DM with polyneuropathy is on the covered diagnosis list do I need any other modifiers there is no abn on file signed for this day?? Ihave included the DLS and provider a1c info also on the claim. is there anything else ?

appreciate any insight ?

just extra: some copy from my documentation:
Patient presents in office as a new patient for BILATERAL diabetic foot exam and foot pain. Onset was several years ago, gradually getting worse. Pain is 3/10 and is burning in nature. Patient denies any injury or trauma. Patient denies any treatment. His last A1C was 6.0 on 03/26/23. He does have lower extremity weakness and is going to physical therapy.

Procedures
Nails 1 through 10 sharply, mechanically debrided and trimmed with nail nippers and curette as needed due to dystrophic nails and patient's comorbidities. Nails were debrided down to and including nail plate from the dorsal aspect including proximal, medial, and lateral nail folds this is done without incident and patient tolerated procedure well. Nails were wiped with alcohol prior to debridement. Nail beds and surrounding soft tissue in stable condition. No clinical signs of soft tissue infection, drainage, or malodor present.

Case reviewed and discussed with patient, all questions and concerns were answered to patient satisfaction.
Etiology of patient's condition was reviewed. Physical exam was performed with findings of type 2 diabetes with neuropathy and nail dystrophy. At risk nail care is provided at this time with debridement the nails performed x10 without incident. Patient is instructed to continue to monitor his feet daily for any changes and to notify podiatry of any wounds or signs of infection. Patient to return to podiatry clinic as needed.

Instructions given to patient to present to emergency room if clinical signs of infection such as fever, chills, nausea, or vomiting present. Patient verbalized understanding.
Diagnoses and all orders for this visit:

1. Diabetic neuropathy

2. Nail dystrophy

3. Diabetic polyneuropathy associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus (HCC)

The answer to your question is completely dependent upon the CMS jurisdiction you are in. The LCD and/or billing article on routine foot care will have the specifics related to your MAC.
ABNs are over utilized and are not necessary for covered routine foot care services. A patient with diabetes and neuropathy in most jurisdictions is covered for nail and callus treatment every 60 days without a Q modifier. Some jurisdictions, though, require the Q modifier. The G modifiers are only necessary IF the services provided are normally covered but not in this specific case. If the patient is not covered, they are cash pay. I would not advise the routine use of G modifiers, they should be a rare occurrence in my opinion.
The RFC claims for patients with DM and other "asterisked" icd10 codes require the name/npi of the doctor treating the DM and the approximate date last seen by that provider. It does not require the A1c. However, I recommend that the information is documented in the exam.
If you provide your MAC info, I can better answer this question regarding Q modifiers.

The answer to your question is completely dependent upon the CMS jurisdiction you are in. The LCD and/or billing article on routine foot care will have the specifics related to your MAC.
ABNs are over utilized and are not necessary for covered routine foot care services. A patient with diabetes and neuropathy in most jurisdictions is covered for nail and callus treatment every 60 days without a Q modifier. Some jurisdictions, though, require the Q modifier. The G modifiers are only necessary IF the services provided are normally covered but not in this specific case. If the patient is not covered, they are cash pay. I would not advise the routine use of G modifiers, they should be a rare occurrence in my opinion.
The RFC claims for patients with DM and other "asterisked" icd10 codes require the name/npi of the doctor treating the DM and the approximate date last seen by that provider. It does not require the A1c. However, I recommend that the information is documented in the exam.
If you provide your MAC info, I can better answer this question regarding Q modifiers.
Yes the Mac is Palmetto GBA, I appreciate any info help you can provide.

Palmetto requires Q modifier on all RFC claims with the exception of painful mycotic nails in the absence of systemic conditions. The documentation you shared does not state the level of systemic involvement to determine class findings. Your claim also needs the name/npi of the doctor treating DM and an approx DLS (I think I mentioned this before). The DM ICd10 codes are secondary to the mycotic nail ICd10 of B35.1.

Attachments

• Jurisdiction J Part B - Routine Foot Care General Information.pdf
    146 KB · Views: 8
  • Jurisdiction M Part B - Routine Foot Care General Information.pdf
    146 KB · Views: 6
  • Palmetto RFC -AL, GA, TN, SC, VA, WV, NC.pdf
    685 KB · Views: 4
  • Palmetto RFC article - J-M AL, GA, TN, SC, VA, WV, NC.pdf
    631.9 KB · Views: 3