Wiki MDM for Rx management in observation

wynonna

True Blue
Best answers
If a hospitalist recommends Augmentin, and the patient is examined by our own ENT during a visit to Observation unit, and she agrees with the recommendations of this Rx, does this count for ENT as Rx management?
thank you

I see that nobody responded to your post yet, so I will post my thought just to continue the dialogue. I am a new coder. I think that yes, it can be counted as Rx management if MD (regardless of specialty) documented what medication, the dosage, duration, the condition is being treated. To me it's Rx management. Looking forward to seeing more responses here. :)

If the provider documented the medication, dosage, duration, reason and made the medical decision to continue a current medication, then I would credit that as prescription drug management.
From https://medicare.fcso.com/faqs/answers/0324049.asp
Q. During an evaluation and management visit, what constitutes "prescription drug management?"
A. "Prescription drug management" is based on documented evidence that the provider has evaluated the patient's medications as part of a service. This may be a prescription being written or discontinued, or a decision to maintain a current medication/dosage.
Note: Simply listing current medications is not considered "prescription drug management."