Wiki MDs signing off on another MD?

KellRey

New
Best answers
Hi everyone,

We have a new MD starting at our practice who unfortunately is brand-spanking new and not credentialed with any insurance companies. One of our other MDs has volunteered to sign off on her patients for her so we can bill under her until the new MD is credentialed. I don't think this is kosher since they are both MDs, and have told my manager so, but does anyone know for sure? And if so, does anyone know where I can find this in writing so I can bring it to my manager to show her that it definitely is or is not okay? Thanks a lot!

Kelley

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

We have a new MD starting at our practice who unfortunately is brand-spanking new and not credentialed with any insurance companies. One of our other MDs has volunteered to sign off on her patients for her so we can bill under her until the new MD is credentialed. I don't think this is kosher since they are both MDs, and have told my manager so, but does anyone know for sure? And if so, does anyone know where I can find this in writing so I can bring it to my manager to show her that it definitely is or is not okay? Thanks a lot!

Kelley

If you search through the forums you will see where this has been addressed many times along with the citation from CMS. Sorry I do not have the link. The answer is no you may not bill a physician incident to another physician. The visits will be out of network and the patient must be informed prior to the encounter.