Wiki MEAT criteria

Blackhorse

Guru
Best answers
I'm new to risk adjustment coding. Can anyone direct me to a good website or training for MEAT Criteria? I'm confused with Problem List, Active Problem List, Past Medical history and Past Medical History ongoing. We have a chronic condition list and any PMH condition without MEAT are supposed to code per this list. What about the diseases mentioned on the Active Problem List? Do we abstract them as a current condition?

Hi Blackhorse:)
You know MEAT means Monitor Evaluate Assess and Treatment from doc s notes as documentation guide. When you read the provider s documentation you must get the sense of what he or she is saying when treating the patient for the day. At times it can be confusing but hopefully I can help. Is the patient coming for first time visit, follow up on current condition or est pt coming for a new problem? The provider should discuss then list the dx or assessment for each day treated. At times the provider might say HO history of chronic DM...you know to code that with E11 dx block. But let us say the patient has new problem like buttock pain M76.04 add this since in the list of assessments. If pt have chronic conditions mostly the provider will say these and if he is giving the patient meds for a problem I d list this down as dx. He or she will list this in dx assessment. If the patient had med problem few years ago& he should put some kind of date, doc may mention it but if not chronic or current you could use a Z code of Z86 or Z87 if related to new problem. If past cancer problem look at blocks of dx Z85. Most docs will list the date when the pt. had the past medical problem.....so do not code it unless related to current condition .You can use Z dx history code . The EHR for each pt can list meds, chronic current problems and past history, but your provider should mention current illness in his daily documentation. If not do not list it. If pt has DM and takes insulin (oral or injections) put these dx down Z79.4 or Z79.84 if noted. If pt, has TOAD (Transplanted organ, Amputation, or doing Dialysis)problems list those down if doc mentions it or it is listed in the HPI or related to current problems.. If he mentions the pt s illness is healed or solved...do not list that dx down.
Here are some of the chronic conditions on the Risk Adjustment Coding monitored by payer and HC government. You should list if possible Cardiac, DM, Amputations, COPD, Arthritis, HTN if doctor mentions it in his list of dx for the day. Also if pt. smokes ciggies past or present smoker, add that which probably be listed in PMH section. Especially add the Z dx code Z72 or current smoker F17 if suffer with COPD, gastro or cardiac or HTN problems. I read a book called Risk Adjustment Documentation & Coding by Sheri Poe Bernard years ago; the info is still valid..
I hope this information helps you.
Lady T:)

Hi Blackhorse:)
You know MEAT means Monitor Evaluate Assess and Treatment from doc s notes as documentation guide. When you read the provider s documentation you must get the sense of what he or she is saying when treating the patient for the day. At times it can be confusing but hopefully I can help. Is the patient coming for first time visit, follow up on current condition or est pt coming for a new problem? The provider should discuss then list the dx or assessment for each day treated. At times the provider might say HO history of chronic DM...you know to code that with E11 dx block. But let us say the patient has new problem like buttock pain M76.04 add this since in the list of assessments. If pt have chronic conditions mostly the provider will say these and if he is giving the patient meds for a problem I d list this down as dx. He or she will list this in dx assessment. If the patient had med problem few years ago& he should put some kind of date, doc may mention it but if not chronic or current you could use a Z code of Z86 or Z87 if related to new problem. If past cancer problem look at blocks of dx Z85. Most docs will list the date when the pt. had the past medical problem.....so do not code it unless related to current condition .You can use Z dx history code . The EHR for each pt can list meds, chronic current problems and past history, but your provider should mention current illness in his daily documentation. If not do not list it. If pt has DM and takes insulin (oral or injections) put these dx down Z79.4 or Z79.84 if noted. If pt, has TOAD (Transplanted organ, Amputation, or doing Dialysis)problems list those down if doc mentions it or it is listed in the HPI or related to current problems.. If he mentions the pt s illness is healed or solved...do not list that dx down.
Here are some of the chronic conditions on the Risk Adjustment Coding monitored by payer and HC government. You should list if possible Cardiac, DM, Amputations, COPD, Arthritis, HTN if doctor mentions it in his list of dx for the day. Also if pt. smokes ciggies past or present smoker, add that which probably be listed in PMH section. Especially add the Z dx code Z72 or current smoker F17 if suffer with COPD, gastro or cardiac or HTN problems. I read a book called Risk Adjustment Documentation & Coding by Sheri Poe Bernard years ago; the info is still valid..
I hope this information helps you.
Lady T:)
Thank you so much for your input (y)