Wiki MEAT requirements with new E&M changes

lcourt6

Best answers
Hi all!! I have a question related to Risk Coding and the new E&M changes.

I have a doctor in my organzation that is stating that the MEAT requirements are not needed for every condition now because of the new documentation requirements for E&Ms. Is this true? I have been reading a lot on this, and I haven't found anything that states this is not required for ICD10 use and RA coding.

Did the physician provide a reason for this opinion and the source of his conclusion? That may clarify some of the points as you understand the requirement and his opinion? Also, did you continue to research the issue, and do you still maintain that his position is not supported?

Hi all!! I have a question related to Risk Coding and the new E&M changes.

I have a doctor in my organzation that is stating that the MEAT requirements are not needed for every condition now because of the new documentation requirements for E&Ms. Is this true? I have been reading a lot on this, and I haven't found anything that states this is not required for ICD10 use and RA coding.
Like SKWashington I would also like to see your physician's argument reference basis. However, MEAT and E&M guidelines are not the same. They may overlap a little or even look similar, but we as HCC coders do not pick up codes based on E&M rules and guidelines. Unless there is a Coding Clinic or another AMA guideline I haven't seen that suggests otherwise, I would be concerned with following that physician's comment.