Wiki Medial Meniscus

carriganm

Networker
Best answers
Can someone please help with how to code for this?
I can't find anything applicable on how to code an injection the medial meniscus.

The skin was prepped in a sterile fashion with Chloraprep. Local anesthetic was introduced into the area of the injection site's using 27g 1.5 in needle 5 ml 1% lidocaine/8.4% sodium bicarbonate 10:1 mixture.
The site's were injected with diluted 1% lidocaine as follows:
LCL ligament elbow
Medial Meniscus right
Total volume 15ml

The medial meniscus is intraarticular (in the knee joint), you would want to look at 20610 or 20611 (if US guided). Why'd they do it, pain/inflammation due to MMT? Seems odd to call it that rather than just a knee joint injection.

The medial meniscus is intraarticular (in the knee joint), you would want to look at 20610 or 20611 (if US guided). Why'd they do it, pain/inflammation due to MMT? Seems odd to call it that rather than just a knee joint injection.
The provider states that the patient has pain at MM and uses the dx code S83.411A (Sprain of medial collateral ligament of right knee). In the PE provider notes; Right knee TTP MM.

This seems very odd. I have never heard of injecting the meniscus itself. If the diagnosis is a collateral ligament sprain, why would the provider inject the meniscus? I spoke to one of our PA's and they have never heard of injecting the meniscus either.

The provider states that the patient has pain at MM and uses the dx code S83.411A (Sprain of medial collateral ligament of right knee). In the PE provider notes; Right knee TTP MM.
This would probably need to go back for clarification. The medial mensicus and MCL are two different things it's doesn't line up. It's too weird.
I heard heard of injecting the mensicus but it's pretty rare. I am not sure it would even be a covered service.
And then where did the LCL at the elbow come into play in the scenario?