Wiki Medial Nerve Block

Best answers
Our anesthesia provider came to me and wanted me to find out if we are able to bill a medial nerve block, not specified for when he only performs sedation with a field block and not general anesthesia? So like CPT code 64999 and then submit the medical documentation showing what the unlisted code is? Would that be separately reimbursed or included in the Carpal Tunnel Release?

If the method of anesthesia is documented as MAC with this block, you would bill the ASA code with REGIONAL anesthesia. This means you would not bill the block separately.

If the method of anesthesia is documented as GENERAL, you may bill the block separately if the block is documented as being for post-operative pain management. If ultrasound is also used, the picture needs to be saved to the patient's chart in order to this service to be billed.

Medial branch blocks are coded using 64490-64492.

It would look like this:
64721/01810 G56.xx (for CTR)
64490-59, LT or RT 76942-26 G89.18 (dx for acute post-pain)

If the anesthesia method used is Regional, then you do not bill the block separately. A nerve block is not considered local. I would need to see the anesthesia record to be sure.