Wiki Medializing calcaneal osteotomy

Best answers
My orthopaedic surgeon performed on the left foot the following:
1. Posterior tibialis tendon debridement and FDL transfer to navicular bone (27691).
2. Spring ligament reconstruction with InternalBrace (28899, compare to 27698).
3. Medializing calcaneal osteotomy - I'm not sure if 28300 is considered correct for the below-described procedural detail, or if this would code to unlisted 28899, compare to 28300. CDR for 28300 appears to describe an open approach (i.e., exposure/retraction of nerve, stripping of peroneal sheath) only.

Thoughts?

"With her foot held in a corrected position, she had adequate dorsiflexion; therefore, gastroc recession was not needed. I proceeded forward with the calcaneal osteotomy. A small 1 cm incision was made over the lateral side of her heel. Blunt dissection is taken down to the periosteum. The periosteum was elevated dorsally and plantarly. With live fluoroscopic view, a Shannon burr was used to perform a percutaneous osteotomy cut obliquely through the calcaneal tuberosity. Once complete, the posterior portion of this was translated medially about 5 mm and fixed in place with a percutaneously placed headless compression screw across the osteotomy. Fluoroscopy confirmed appropriate alignment through the osteotomy and screw placement."

Thank you.

Interesting. I have coded hundreds of these but never a percutaneous one. I wonder if you could do 28300-52? I think you'll have a problem if you try to code two unlisted on the same case. Normally you can only report an unlisted 1x especially since it would be the same unlisted.

I haven't actively coded ortho in a couple years. Did you check CPT Assistant, AAOS, or Zupko for info?

I did do a query search on CPT Assistant & AHA Coding Clinic. I don't have full access to newer AAOS. I've even been looking at JPOSNA to see if there might be any information, even though this is a pediatric orthopaedics journal. I'll query search on Karen Zupko's website. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.