Wiki Medical Marijuana Billing - Illinois?

gr8gal61

Guru
Best answers
I have been approached by an MD, in Illinois to help assist in billing medical marijuana to insurance companies. Currently they are charging a flat rate, per patient and not billing insurance companies. I have researched & found that majority or NO insurance company is reimbursing for a patient with certain conditions to obtain their "medical marijuana" card.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of situation? He wants to bill claims electronically however I am also thinking the long term drug use will not be utilized in the DX so is this illegal? I prefer to keep my certification and I do not look good in stripes.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

it does not sound like you are trying to bill for the cannabis product so there should be no problem. This is just an evaluation just like any other evaluation. You bill whatever the condition is and use an office visit code. You do not use the cannabis use abuse or dependence codes if it is legal for medical use and the provider documents that the patient is appropriate with this us. It is no different that a patient being prescribed narcotics for pain relief.

it does not sound like you are trying to bill for the cannabis product so there should be no problem. This is just an evaluation just like any other evaluation. You bill whatever the condition is and use an office visit code. You do not use the cannabis use abuse or dependence codes if it is legal for medical use and the provider documents that the patient is appropriate with this us. It is no different that a patient being prescribed narcotics for pain relief.

Thank you very much.