Best answers
Hello All~
Can someone please direct me to where I can find a policy or information on billability requirements for MNT for a NON-MEDICARE patient who is SELF-REFERRED? I see a lot on Medicare requirements and that we are unable to bill for MNT services WITHOUT a Provider referral and covered diagnosis.

This non-medicare patient of mine is SELF-REFERRED and doesn't want regular insurance co billed. (No PROVIDER referral!) Are we allowed to bill the patient WITHOUT a provider referral if they want the services? What if they also sign a waiver of payment responsibility? Or even if they are a Medicare patient, knowing they don't cover MNT for non-DM diagnoses and sign an ABN or waiver? Again, all of this is in regards to the referral issue.
My company is stating that ALL MNT services require a provider referral whether self-pay, signed waiver, or not, but I feel that if anyone wants this service and is willing to pay out-of-pocket for it, it shouldn't need one. Please help if you can. Thank you so much!!!

Sue