Wiki Medical records law

amber2262

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I am having a debate with a coworker regarding the release of medical records upon patient request. If the patient provides us with records from another provider and/or facility, are we permitted to deny them access to those same records if they request them from us? I asked my instructor who is RHIA, and she told me that the records become part of the patient chart once we accept them. She stated that the patient IS entitled to have those records as well. I brought this up to my coworker, but she is asking for this in writing. Does anyone know of a link where I can find this? Someone please advise....any input is appreciated.

Thank you

HIPAA Privacy Rule

If these records were used to make medical decisions about a patient, they become part of your designated record set and as such, you would be obligated to release them to the patient if he or she requests them. In the HIPAA Privacy Rule section 164.501, under definitions, there is this excerpt for the definition of the designated record set and what it inforation it entails:

"Used, in whole or in part, by or for
the covered entity to make decisions about
individuals."

As for a link, you can go to HHS.gov for HIPAA related questions, or just google the HIPAA Privacy rule and there are many good reliable sources.