Wiki Medicare Claims - Newbie Needs Help

Best answers
I'm new to determining fee schedules and the like and have been asked to make sure all of our codes are updated for the 2013 year. The medicare fee schedule for 2013 is out, however obviously it takes into consideration that we will be going over the fiscal cliff. Some of our allowables actually drop by half.

Assuming that Congress can get their act together, there is a chance they will retroactively pass a bill correcting everything. This means that the fee schedule goes back to the way it should be correct?

If so, shouldn't we hold all of our medicare claims for two weeks? This gives us a two week timeframe to still go in, make sure our fee schedule is correct when we send out claims so that when we import the payments we'll have less work to do and less corrections to make right?

If we do not hold our claims, and we bill out a 99202 with a current allowable of 54.36, we run the risk of them increasing it to $57.36 (for example) and then having to deal with that 3 dollars and adding it to our accounting system at a later date...right?

This is not our Medicare Contractor, but it is just an example of what I found.
http://www.njmgma.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.pageDetails&id=4983&typeID=19

If we hold claims, do I leave our fee schedule in the system alone for now and make the change on the 10th business day if I still have to? Or do I go ahead and change it to reflect the lower allowables now? I'm so lost. Thank you!

Last edited: