Wiki Medicare denying claim for missing procedure modifier

carlystur

Expert
Best answers
Last Update: My supervisor says she doesn't want me doing denials. At least, not yet. It was a co-worker who had asked for my help in getting it done. I had wanted to try doing denials anyway, but since I was dropped into the deep end without a float, I felt frustrated and stuck when the co-worker couldn't tell me what I needed to know to get it done because she was in an online meeting. I'll still leave this up here in case anyone else has a similar issue in the future.

2nd Update: Removed modifier 51 and am being told that the J code might be bundled in with the injection procedure code 62323 as well as a potential issue with the POS. Asking my supervisor about the POS issue as well as I can figure out.

Update: I added modifier 51 to J3301 on the claim and have it ready to go back unless anyone here says otherwise.

This is only my second time even attempting to handle denials, so I need some advice with this one. Medicare is denying this claim stating there is a missing modifier for J3301. I'm inclined to think it's missing modifier 51. Help?

Operative Report

Pre-op. Diagnosis:

1.Lumbar radiculitis recalcitrant to conservative management
Post-op. Diagnosis:
1.Same as pre-op diagnosis
Operation:
1.Lumbar epidural steroid injection under fluoroscopic guidance (interlaminar approach)
Anesthesia:
*LOCAL ANESTHETIC INJECTED: 5 mL of 1% lidocaine,
*SEDATION MEDICATIONS: None
Indications:
Persistent lumbago and associated radiculopathy resistant to conservative care options.
Details of Procedure:
LESI
1) L2-3 interlaminar epidural steroid injection.
2) Fluoroscopic needle guidance
TECHNIQUE: Time-out was taken to identify the correct patient, procedure and side prior to starting the procedure. Lying in a prone position, the patient was prepped and draped in the usual sterile fashion using Betadine and a fenestrated drape. The area to be injected was determined under fluoroscopic guidance. Local anesthetic was given by raising a skin wheal and going down to the hub of a 27-gauge 1.25-inch needle. The 3.5-inch 25-gauge Quincke needle was advanced under fluoroscopic guidance. The needle was advanced to the final position via a lateral fluoroscopic intermittent image. Utilizing a loss of resistance technique, we confirmed entrance into the epidural space, and aspiration was negative for heme or CSF. After a negative aspiration, the medication (Kenalog) was then injected.The procedure was completed without complications and was tolerated well. The patient was monitored after the procedure. The patient (or responsible party) was given post-procedure and discharge instructions to follow at home. The patient was discharged in stable condition. A follow-up appointment was made.
Specimens: None
Complications: None
Estimated Blood Loss: NONE

Originally Billed Procedure Codes:
J3301 10 mg

Last edited:
Here's a list from Codify of modifiers that are allowed for J3301. I'm not familiar lumbar procedures but modifier 51 is not listed as being an appropriate modifier. Hope this helps!

ModifierDescription
99Multiple Modifiers
CRCatastrophe/disaster related
FBItem provided without cost to provider, supplier or practitioner, or full credit received for replaced device (examples, but not limited to, covered under warranty, replaced due to defect, free samples)
GAWaiver of liability statement issued as required by payer policy, individual case
GKReasonable and necessary item/service associated with a ga or gz modifier
J1Competitive acquisition program no-pay submission for a prescription number
J2Competitive acquisition program, restocking of emergency drugs after emergency administration
J3Competitive acquisition program (cap), drug not available through cap as written, reimbursed under average sales price methodology
JBAdministered subcutaneously
JWDrug amount discarded/not administered to any patient
KXRequirements specified in the medical policy have been met
M2Medicare secondary payer (msp)
QJServices/items provided to a prisoner or patient in state or local custody, however the state or local government, as applicable, meets the requirements in 42 cfr 411.4 (b

Update: I removed modifier 51 and am being told that the J code might be bundled in with the injection procedure code 62323 as well as a potential issue with the POS. Asking my supervisor about the POS issue as well as I can figure out.

When in doubt ... can you find a prior claim for the same services in your system that Medicare paid and compare the two? That might provide some insight. I don't see any notations in Codify that J3301 is bundled. Did you check with your local MAC to see if they have an LCA or LCD regarding this service? When I googled it, I got results for both for CGS Medicare.

I got a response from my supervisor. She doesn't want me doing denials after all. At least, not yet. It was a co-worker who had asked for my help in doing it and I've told the co-worker what my supervisor said and sent the claim back to said co-worker.

I really appreciate all your replies with suggestions! I'll leave this up for anyone else who might have a similar issue in the future.

I usually call the Medicare claims department and ask them directly where I missed, and how can I revise my claim so that I could get reimbursement. They are usually very nice enough to let me know indirectly. They don't directly say "you have to use THIS modifier" but at least they give you an idea.

I usually call the Medicare claims department and ask them directly where I missed, and how can I revise my claim so that I could get reimbursement. They are usually very nice enough to let me know indirectly. They don't directly say "you have to use THIS modifier" but at least they give you an idea.
Nice. Our MAC simply replies "we can't tell you how to code the claim". They quit providing any helpful guidance years ago.

Hey! i was looking for a thread on this! We are a pain management clinic that has an RN to monitor patients requesting moderate sedation. I have been out of pain management for a few years and am recently back in it.....I know that if we bill 99152 that is supposed to cover the drugs like midazolam (Versed) and lorazepam (Ativan), correct? i know medicare doesn't cover the J codes so we have to get an ABN, but was just curious if for codes like 62323 and 20610 if you guys bill the J codes separately or if they are considered part of the reimbursement for the injection?