• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Medicare DME Same/Similar HELP

Best answers
To all DME billers,
I have a podiatry account I am billing for that is using the GY modifier on DME they know will deny as Same/Similar. They are doing this to get the denial to send to the secondary for payment. The patient has received either the same item or one on the Same/Similar list within 2 years. Is this the correct practice? Should we be billing with the GY modifier knowing that Medicare does indeed cover the item provided it has been the 5 year time frame? I would appreciate any input into this. Thank you

belindapearl

Networker
Best answers
GY modifier means that the item is statutorily excluded, which to my understanding is never covered by Medicare. I would get an ABN and bill with the GA modifier