• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Medicare Well woman diagnosis confusion

jdibble

True Blue
Best answers
Good afternoon all! I am currently new to OB/GYN and am working auditing notes for Medicare well woman visits. I am confused on the diagnosis codes and cpt codes and was hoping someone could help me! :D

I think I understand that if the patient comes in for a pelvic and breast exam I would code G0101. If they have a PAP I can also code Q0091. In this case the dx would be V76.2 or V72.31? Now, I have a patient who came if for her well woman exam, the doctor did a complete exam, including a complete Pelvic exam, however did not do a PAP. He is billing th G0101 and dx V76.2. Isn't V76.2 the diagnosis for when a PAP is done? Should he be using V72.31 instead - which says with or without pap? Also, should he be billing an exam code too - 99397? Or he doesn't need to?

If someone could help me with the correct process of coding these visits for all scenarios I would be greatful - I have to go back to these doctors and tell them if the coded these visits correctly and tell them the correct way and I have myself too confused to at this point to do that! :eek:

Thanks,

Last edited:

roeslerje

Networker
Best answers
In our office, a well-woman with a Pap is billed G0101 & Q0091 with dx of V72.31. If a breast/pelvic exam is done without a Pap, we just bill the G0101 with the same dx, V72.31.

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
The V76.2 is excluded by the V72.31 so you do not use both codes, If the patient has has a total hyst then there is no cervix for a PAP but the physician may do a vaginal PAP in which case you do use the V76.47 with the V76.41 plus the appropriate V88.xx for the absence of the uterus, if the patient has has a hyst but has a remaining cervical stump which the provided did PAP then you use the V72.31 with the V88.xx code for the absences of the uterus with a remaining cervical stump.

jdibble

True Blue
Best answers
The V76.2 is excluded by the V72.31 so you do not use both codes, If the patient has has a total hyst then there is no cervix for a PAP but the physician may do a vaginal PAP in which case you do use the V76.47 with the V76.41 plus the appropriate V88.xx for the absence of the uterus, if the patient has has a hyst but has a remaining cervical stump which the provided did PAP then you use the V72.31 with the V88.xx code for the absences of the uterus with a remaining cervical stump.
Thanks Debra and Rey for your responses!

@ Debra - I understand what you are saying, but have another question. If a patient only came in for a PAP, would you use the V76.2 then? Also, if the doctor does a complete well visit exam on the Medicare patient, should he be billing for that - 99397? Is an ABN required for these well woman visits and do we need to bill with a modifier?

Thanks for your help!