Wiki Medication Management - For a mental health professional

Jenny8675309

Networker
Best answers
For a mental health professional what code would you use when seeing a child for medication management only? And what is your definition of medication management?

My definition of med management would be monitoring the prescription. I only see this as something a physician can do - not counselors, or psychologists.

In psychiatry, the CPT code I would use is 90862. But the psychiatrist can bill an evaluation and management service instead, as long as they document sufficiently, and the service is better paid.

Hope I am touching on what you are looking for.

Diana

The pharmacological management code is 90862 (under psychiatric services or procedures), but I would suggest querying your MD for the definition of "with no more than minimal medical psychotherapy". If the MD is providing service above and beyond the "minimal psychotherapy.." than you can bill the E/M as suggested above.

We had this similiar issue with two different psychiatrist here at our office and we spoke to both of them togethor and they both agreed that they are doing more of the E/M work rather than just managing medication.

Hope that helps!