Wiki Membership dues.

I am very unhappy with the increase. I feel that if the dues are increasing we should be getting something more out of AAPC. 6 free webinars a year?? More resources dedicated to our chapter? Like a zoom subscription so we can have virtual meetings in this time of COVID. SOMETHING! The discounts on AAPC classes and tests are not offsetting enough to validate the fees we pay.

Yes I made the mistake of going to the wrong college and joining AAPC. As the old saying goes "If I only knew then what I know now" I would've gone with AHIMA all the way. AAPC is a profit organization, while AHIMA is a nonprofit organization, which is why AHIMAs dues don't go up every year.

Do you not need your certification for your job? Your dues are tax deductible, by the way.

Nurses, physicians, therapists--virtually all licensed or certified professionals must pay for their annual memberships and mandated CEUs. In many cases, this is covered by your employer, particularly if it's a job requirement, and if there are a number of coders in your organization, you may be able to get a corporate policy. Is this an option for you? And actually, finding a job without a certification is nearly impossible....so it's important to retain your certification. Nothing in life is free---you must pick and choose what you feel is valuable to you.

Regarding AHIMA---I am a member, but their content and education is nowhere near what is available through AAPC.

Chapter meetings (with CEUs) are free in most every city that has a chapter, and many hold workshops and conferences that are such a good value. No other organization provides that sort of networking flexibilty. This forum is extremely busy and has far more content than AHIMA. There are many tools available on this website--bell curve data, payer policies, a job board and discounts on goods and services like travel, retail and restaurants. The HBM magazine (free, with your subscription) is far more helpful to me than the AHIMA journal.

Just in comparison---Annual dues for other healthcare business/licensing organizations (AAPC is $180.00):
MGMA $399.00
HFMA $445.00
AHIMA $199.00
AMA (regular practice) $420.00
ANA $191.00
HIMSS $199.00
NAMAS (platinum, comparable to standard AAPC) $259.00
AAHAM $209.00
APTA $380.00
NHA $352.50-577.50, depending on number of certifications.

Do you not need your certification for your job? Your dues are tax deductible, by the way.

Nurses, physicians, therapists--virtually all licensed or certified professionals must pay for their annual memberships and mandated CEUs. In many cases, this is covered by your employer, particularly if it's a job requirement, and if there are a number of coders in your organization, you may be able to get a corporate policy. Is this an option for you? And actually, finding a job without a certification is nearly impossible....so it's important to retain your certification. Nothing in life is free---you must pick and choose what you feel is valuable to you.

Regarding AHIMA---I am a member, but their content and education is nowhere near what is available through AAPC.

Chapter meetings (with CEUs) are free in most every city that has a chapter, and many hold workshops and conferences that are such a good value. No other organization provides that sort of networking flexibilty. This forum is extremely busy and has far more content than AHIMA. There are many tools available on this website--bell curve data, payer policies, a job board and discounts on goods and services like travel, retail and restaurants. The HBM magazine (free, with your subscription) is far more helpful to me than the AHIMA journal.

Just in comparison---Annual dues for other healthcare business/licensing organizations (AAPC is $180.00):
MGMA $399.00
HFMA $445.00
AHIMA $199.00
ANA $191.00
HIMSS $199.00
AAHAM $209.00
APTA $380.00
Is there a discount code for membership fees

Yes I made the mistake of going to the wrong college and joining AAPC. As the old saying goes "If I only knew then what I know now" I would've gone with AHIMA all the way. AAPC is a profit organization, while AHIMA is a nonprofit organization, which is why AHIMAs dues don't go up every year.

You can still join AHIMA if you wish. Many coders belong to both professional groups. I am a member of both AHIMA and AAPC.

Also, there is a recertification fee paid on a biennial basis to AHIMA. If you're only looking at the dues for AHIMA, you're not looking at the whole picture of the cost of AHIMA membership.

the rising cost of membership is insane. Everything with AAPC is money motivated and i get it however why not offer a discount at least to members who have been part of the organization for over 10 years. You all TAKE TAKE TAKE a give NOTHING! $190.00 plus the cost of CEU.. And @ true blue you sound like a very well paid AAPC spokesperson .. ;)

the rising cost of membership is insane. Everything with AAPC is money motivated and i get it however why not offer a discount at least to members who have been part of the organization for over 10 years. You all TAKE TAKE TAKE a give NOTHING! $190.00 plus the cost of CEU.. And @ true blue you sound like a very well paid AAPC spokesperson .. ;)

You do not have to pay for CEUs - there are more than enough free options out there. I usually end up with 100-150 each cycle, and I don't pay for any of them.

If you're not familiar with some of the member resources available, I would strongly suggest attending a chapter meeting in October. Many chapters have scheduled presentations that month on "Getting The Most Out of Your AAPC Membership" that month. If your own chapter having a different topic that month, you can join another chapter's virtual meeting.

You'll get some free CEUs and also learn about benefits available to members that you might not even realize. For example, the Mentoring program, the free coding & billing tools available, and other resources that you might not be aware of.

I know you were probably just being hyperbolic, of course, but I should point out that officer positions are all volunteer. No one is being compensated financially.

I've done years of volunteer work for AAPC. No paychecks have come my way from this organization, as you wrongly have assumed.
However, my association with AAPC (BOD, NAB, Education Committee, Local Chapter officer) has provided me with networking opportunities that have significantly advanced my career. So yes, I am well paid, but by my employer who understands the value of all I have learned through my AAPC connections. And they pay my membership because they recognize its value.

MGMA $399.00
HFMA $445.00
AHIMA $199.00
ANA $191.00
HIMSS $199.00
AAHAM $209.00
APTA $380.00
In my case it is included in the Federal standard deduction, so I do not get any breaks there

OK, I know I am late to the game here, but this is still valid. since 2021 dues went from 180 to 190 to 205. we still have to pay for books. they still charge for subscriptions, and to top it off - now they make us pay for "separate/ individualized" specialty certifications. When it used to be just CPC standard, it isn't like they cover the costs of regional or local meetings (most times). We still have to shout out money for that too. Since I started, fees used to be (300/350) for the testing and then (55/75) for the annual dues. other than changing code sets and adding different rules (which we mostly get from accumulative places, not just AAPC ), my learning basis is still the same. I am able to get free CEUs, I am able to research things. If I want to use an encoder from AAPC, I even have to pay to do that. I am really confused on what the extra money they are charging for goes to. Inflation at its finest and what is more messed up is, 1. we are doing it to our own people. and 2. if we don't renew our certifications, we cannot work. Companies do not hire anymore without the certification. No matter how many years of experience you have. I find all of this a needless rat race where we have to pay more and more and do the same thing over and over.

On another side note, I feel like ALWAYS having to take a coding test to get a job, when you have been working as a coder, are still working as a coder currently without issues, is a problem and very needless. Every facility has different processes and procedures. So no matter how you do on a coding test (I have personally corrected several coding tests while I was taking them), you will still have to learn the new practice or facilities functions. I could understand if you have not coded anything in 6 months or more or had a bad review, or gotten fired from a previous employer. but someone who has a clean, long-standing record, should not have to prove themselves every time they apply for a new or extra job. The length of testing is exhausting and adds time to an already time-consuming process of applying.

OK, I know I am late to the game here, but this is still valid. since 2021 dues went from 180 to 190 to 205. we still have to pay for books. they still charge for subscriptions, and to top it off - now they make us pay for "separate/ individualized" specialty certifications. When it used to be just CPC standard, it isn't like they cover the costs of regional or local meetings (most times). We still have to shout out money for that too. Since I started, fees used to be (300/350) for the testing and then (55/75) for the annual dues. other than changing code sets and adding different rules (which we mostly get from accumulative places, not just AAPC ), my learning basis is still the same. I am able to get free CEUs, I am able to research things. If I want to use an encoder from AAPC, I even have to pay to do that. I am really confused on what the extra money they are charging for goes to. Inflation at its finest and what is more messed up is, 1. we are doing it to our own people. and 2. if we don't renew our certifications, we cannot work. Companies do not hire anymore without the certification. No matter how many years of experience you have. I find all of this a needless rat race where we have to pay more and more and do the same thing over and over.

On another side note, I feel like ALWAYS having to take a coding test to get a job, when you have been working as a coder, are still working as a coder currently without issues, is a problem and very needless. Every facility has different processes and procedures. So no matter how you do on a coding test (I have personally corrected several coding tests while I was taking them), you will still have to learn the new practice or facilities functions. I could understand if you have not coded anything in 6 months or more or had a bad review, or gotten fired from a previous employer. but someone who has a clean, long-standing record, should not have to prove themselves every time they apply for a new or extra job. The length of testing is exhausting and adds time to an already time-consuming process of applying.
Pre-employment coding tests are a necessity. Many employed coders are not periodically audited, and it shows in the posts on Facebook and in this forum. Many employed coders have consequently developed habits that have lead to their coding being non-compliant or just incorrect without their knowledge due to never being audited. The number of responses to posts regarding denials that instruct coders to change or add diagnoses that are not documented to get claims paid is mind-blowing. They're literally telling other coders to commit fraud. I have experienced this firsthand as a patient with my encounters being improperly coded/billed. That said, the only way a potential employer can see that an interviewee codes correctly is through an exam.

Not that I'm aware of. If you need financial assistance due to circumstances that have made it challenging to continue to be a member, you are always welcome to apply to the Hardship Scholarship Fund.
Is this still avaiable? If so where do I need to apply.

I agree to an extent.
I am new to coding, after leaving the restaurant industry behind after 20 years of management.
I have no experience other than my CPC-A.
I currently work as a PRN Patient Access Rep at the Hospital to get my foot in the door and work my way up.
PRN PSR doesnt pay well, I am making much less money that I did as a restaurant manager....but you have to work your way up with no experience.
I can understand how some people trying to make it into this field have a hard time paying, JUST TO BE A MEMBER.

BUT>>>>>

Health insurance discounts
Access to free AAPC/CMS CEUs
Shopping discounts

If you make use of the perks, its not all bad

My health insurance was over $225 a month, with the health insurance discounts I have access to as a AAPC member. I am saving almost 90% of that MONTHLY.
So for me, paying $205 a year for membership is saving me money because I save $200 MONTHLY on health insurance.

You have to look at the perks too.

Just saw where the annual fee is up to $205.00 with no increased "Benefit". Last year it was 190 and the year before that $180 AND the year before that, $175.00. Just keeps going up. Corporate greed at its finest. Its truly sad that they do this to their own as someone else pointed out. OH but wait, they will offer you TWO years membership for the small amount of only $350.00, what a deal *insert eye roll. I have been a coder for over 25 years and sad to say I'm thankful to approach retirement so I don't have to keep paying my "fees" to corporate greed. I think this might be the year I finally give up my CPC credential and just ride it out till I retire.

It's a scam and outrageous. What is the $205 supposed to be paying for? I already have insurance I'm happy with. Getting my CPC-A was a necessary evil for me but I hope there comes a day I can get credentialed elsewhere and withdraw from this money-grab company.

I have been with AAPC for over 25 years. First we received nice certificates, plaques, pins, for getting CPC. Newsletter, AAPC card, and a couple other stuff too was in the fees. Then AAPC decided 'TO GO GREEN.' What they meant wasn't to save anything....it was to line their pockets with our green. No plaques, pins, or aapc card anymore. You need anything, you have to use your ink, paper, etc. The only thing we get for the AAPC dues, in my limited experience, is a few letters after our names that allow us to work in a job that is thankless.

I would just like to add, on top of paying the annual fee, paying thousands of dollars for courses, it would be nice to at least get all of my course books as physical books, rather than having to rely on electronic books that expire after the course does. I am trying to enter the medical field so everything I pay for here is completely out of pocket, there is no company helping me do this. Since I'm not working in the medical field yet, I cannot apply these costs to my tax return. I also had a family medical emergency (I was out of state and city for months afterward) that prevented me from taking an NHA certification exam, even though my course cost included a free voucher. Because so much time had passed from the time my course ended (which I had completed) to when I was able to settle back into my home, AAPC did not even grant me an exception (I asked for a second review of my request) and honor my free voucher. So now I have to pay for that out of pocket, with no chance of reimbursement. The cost of the exam is around the same cost as my annual membership here.

Also, trying to find applicable content through the forums on this site is a huge pain, unless I post myself, asking something that has doubtless been asked many times before. I do see users posting regularly, but I notice many posts go unanswered with hundreds of views. The closest chapter available to me is over an hour away. I really have struggled getting certifications from AAPC to advance my education and break into the medical field and have truly felt like this is a gate-keeping front meant to keep the divide between financial classes.

AAPC would be greatly improved, in my opinion, if there was a better search function on here to access individual posts and if there were senior AAPC members assigned as moderators to each forum so questions could be answered in a timely manner, either with new information, or with links to previous posts with the most relevant answer(s). These moderators could be compensated with discounts or other features/items of monetary value. Raising the cost of AAPC membership further dilutes the pool of fresh applicants to enter the workforce, and becomes a barrier for continued support and input from members who have been in the field for decades, who bring valuable knowledge and wisdom, from their given field, to those here who would benefit from that knowledge.

Additionally, in the courses I have taken, I have noticed an embarrassing amount of clerical/informational errors. If I had the time to record these I would surely have pages of errors that prove the quality and review process of the course material is poorly lacking. In the Medical Terminology exams I took, there were many questions that were just filler, as well, that had no baring on applicable knowledge of said terminology. I was honestly affronted that I was paying hundreds of dollars to answer questions like "what syllable has the primary accent in 'spirometer'?". On some tests questions exactly like that would account for 15-25% of the overall score. Thank goodness the module exams were open book, because I would have failed the exams on this course just because of those questions. Some test questions were not readily available in the books, so I would Google search for them, only to find module exam photos or questions/answers that were directly quoted from other websites. It indicated to me that whoever compiled the e-books on that course did not spend as much time on it as I would expect from such an esteemed organization, especially since AAPC is one of very few organizations that provide a pathway for people to even qualify to ENTER the medical field.

I spent time to write this out in the hopes that someone higher up will take it to heart and make improvements that reflect the quality of content one would expecting from spending so much money to be a part of.

I’m really frustrated with the rise in membership fees too. I feel like I get nothing out of the membership. I hardly rely on AAPC as a source. I code for ophthalmology and wish I would have just gone through the American Academy of Ophthalmology to get my coding certification for the field I’m in and will most likely be in forever. I feel like I got sucked in to a company that just cares about money. I pay $10 every two years for my Cosmetology license that I paid 22K for and I can put that on hold whenever I want. But with AAPC it’s either meet their high membership demand or lose the certification I paid $1,000’s for. Very disappointed with this company.

Totally agree with you ladies. My company recently gave me an excellent performance review along with $.50 raise for the year. And we don't receive any cost of living!! After working in this profession for over 30 years, I can honestly say I am among the working poor and retirement is out of the question! I guess I should be grateful I can claim my dues on my taxes!

There! Does the AACP feel better now about justifying the membership dues increase? Or shall we talk about paying extra for a payment plan or potential financial aid or reduced retirement dues! Please, we are CPCs because we are intelligent and deal with the revenue cycle every day!!!

You do not have to pay for CEUs - there are more than enough free options out there. I usually end up with 100-150 each cycle, and I don't pay for any of them.

If you're not familiar with some of the member resources available, I would strongly suggest attending a chapter meeting in October. Many chapters have scheduled presentations that month on "Getting The Most Out of Your AAPC Membership" that month. If your own chapter having a different topic that month, you can join another chapter's virtual meeting.

You'll get some free CEUs and also learn about benefits available to members that you might not even realize. For example, the Mentoring program, the free coding & billing tools available, and other resources that you might not be aware of.

I know you were probably just being hyperbolic, of course, but I should point out that officer positions are all volunteer. No one is being compensated financially.
I have gone to more than one location for Chapter meetings and they are, in my area, about a helpful as an ingrown toenail. They run late (hmmm, 'lets wait for so-&-so' my foot.) like i have time to wait 30 minutes for a meeting to decide to start. They are unfriendly and unapproachable. High on themselves. Again, result from going to 3 different chapters in this area.

Has ANYONE noticed that the AAPC powers that be never respond? Chicken S****s

This forum isn't monitored or moderated by staff, so there should not be an expectation of a staff response to forum questions. This isn't where you'd ask a question for which you specifically want a staff response.

There are a number of avenues available to get information or ask questions, including all of the forms of contact listed here: https://www.aapc.com/about-us/contact

In addition to that, there ongoing live sessions at least monthly on social media moderated by Alex, where questions can also be asked & answered in real time.

This forum isn't monitored or moderated by staff, so there should not be an expectation of a staff response to forum questions. This isn't where you'd ask a question for which you specifically want a staff response.

There are a number of avenues available to get information or ask questions, including all of the forms of contact listed here: https://www.aapc.com/about-us/contact

In addition to that, there ongoing live sessions at least monthly on social media moderated by Alex, where questions can also be asked & answered in real time.
I know....but one would expect them to peek once in awhile. Not only that, but every time I Have called or emailed, let us just say, we are scr*** or welcomed to go to AHIMA or something. Problem? Employer wants AAPC. Employer doesn't pay me for credentials. I told AAPC straight up exactly what I posted here years ago. AAPC does crap but take our money. Can't even get an answer on a coding forum. So much for professional help. Oh, I have to PAY FOR THAT TOO.

AAPC doesn't control whether or not your employer requires you to be certified.
AAPC doesn't control your salaries
AAPC doesn't force you to go to chapter meetings
AAPC doesn't direct the chapter meeting content, although there are bylaws and guidelines that the chapter officers should follow.
AAPC doesn't control the decisions you make about your career.

I can see a lot of frustration in the posts above (and some of it is extremely unprofessional in its content. Remember that hiring managers do read these posts). But the decisions made about your choice to be a coder, to be certified, to join AAPC and to work for whichever entity you've been hired by, are all decisions you made. And with decisions come expectations and responsibility. I am embarrassed to read some of the comments above in what is supposed to be a professional forum, dedicated to learning and growing. This organization--AAPC-- (no I'm not employed or otherwise compensated) has made a huge difference in my career. I started as a $ 12-an-hour biller and am now making a solid 6 figures. But that because of me, with support from my learning through AAPC, as well as years of experience, a Master's degree and a lot of blood, sweat and tears. And my employer feels that my certifications and membership are extremely valuable, so they pay for my membership (something I insisted on upon hire, by the way).

If your life isn't going the way you want, it's up to you to fix it, not complain about it on a public forum.