Wiki Membership Recognition Program

JudyW

Best answers
Welcome to all members of the recognition program, Fellows, Professionals and Associates. Hopefully we can help each other in the coming months with any questions that might come up. ;)

How long is the process to know if your application was accepted? do you receive a certificate or is it added to your credentials?

Thank you

You can read all about it under membership recognition program on the website. It can take from 6 to 8 weeks to let you know if you've been approved for the recognition status you applied for. Good luck and let me know if I can help you in anyway

On Behalf of the AAPCCA

On behalf of the AAPC Chapter Association Board of Directors, Congratulations on your Designation to the Membership Recognition Program. Don't forget, your Local Chapter is a great resource for networking and additional CEU opportunities !!

LMS Courses

Does anyone know how often new courses are added to the LMS? It took about a month after my Fellow approval for access to the LMS, and then there was only one one-hour webinar that I watched yesterday. I've taken and instructed a lot of online courses and am used to extensive access and the ability to "work ahead".

Recognition Program CEUs

Does anyone know how often new courses are added to the LMS? It took about a month after my Fellow approval for access to the LMS, and then there was only one one-hour webinar that I watched yesterday. I've taken and instructed a lot of online courses and am used to extensive access and the ability to "work ahead".

We're working on adding more webinars into the LMS currently. We definitely want you and others to be able to "work ahead" and complete the Recognition CEUs rapidly. The trick we're trying to juggle is balancing the most current, timely education with making as much education available as soon as possible. My hope is to have all 9 webinars available by the end of the first quarter, adding them in as they're completed. I'd like to think that would be a happy medium between the two goals - current information and access for as long as possible.

I hope that helps answer your question!

Another LMS Questions

The first one was quite sufficiently answered, now I have another couple:

1. Regarding "80% Discounted Recognition CEUs – valued at $450.00 (a savings of $360)" listed on the Member Recognition Benefits page, to what does this refer. Are these separate from the 9 webinars to be uploaded hopefully by the end of the quarter? And, if so, where do I find them on the AAPC site?

1.5. Why cannot I not click on anything within the course catalog in the LMS? There is a learning center catalog but when I click on the hyperlinks it only either opens or closes the darker box of description and "Retail Price". Does my 80% discount apply to those course?

I really appreciate the quick responses. When I called AAPC customer service yesterday, the CSR needed to "further research" what I meant by "fellow program".

We're working on adding more webinars into the LMS currently. We definitely want you and others to be able to "work ahead" and complete the Recognition CEUs rapidly. The trick we're trying to juggle is balancing the most current, timely education with making as much education available as soon as possible. My hope is to have all 9 webinars available by the end of the first quarter, adding them in as they're completed. I'd like to think that would be a happy medium between the two goals - current information and access for as long as possible.

I hope that helps answer your question!

I completed the LMS online course yesterday. It stated that it was worth 1 CEU, but a AAPC CEU# was not provided. Is this worth a CEU credit?

Replies to a few questions

kroemer4:

The discounted Recognition CEUs are indeed the 9 webinars we're working on uploading to the LMS course. We're not referencing a discount for other CEUs outside the Recognition Program.

The course catalog in the LMS system showcases all the various offerings that can be taken through this LMS, but each of those do have associated costs. The 80% does not apply to those courses, unfortunately. The mention of the 80% discount is just referencing how the 9 webinars you'll have access to are essentially discounted 80%. Their retail value would be $450, but you just paid $90 for them when you applied for Fellow status. In other words, $90 of the fee you paid for your Fellow Recognition Application went toward those Recognition CEUs.

And I'm sorry for the CSR response you received yesterday. In the past month or so, we've hired about 6 new reps, and obviously there's a lot of information to cover as an AAPC CSR. In addition, this program is so fresh and new, we're still communicating with that department almost daily to make sure people are informed as there are updates, etc. We've been relying on the CSRs to let us know what kinds of questions members are asking, too - so we can quickly address any problems/concerns, but also make the answers more apparent either on the website or, if needed, in an email to Recognition recipients.

Chelle-Lynn:

The Recognition Program CEUs aren't associated with any specific CEU number because these are specific to the Recognition Program; they don't count toward regular CEUs. No code was necessary since they weren't going to be entered into the CEU Tracker. The 1 CEU each webinar is worth is 1 Recognition CEU. The Recognition CEUs will be required for Recognition renewal.

And to all of you:

I can't thank you enough for using this forum, making sure your questions are heard, and participating in this program! Your feedback is highly valued and your patience is greatly appreciated. I'll try to keep responding to questions here in a timely manner - but calling/chatting/emailing Customer Service will certainly get your urgent questions answered fastest. If they don't know an answer right away due to the newness of this program, they will track down the answer and get back to you as soon as they can.

Thank you for the information. So when we go to re-apply next year will we have to do the same initial application....or just show that we completed the 9 special CEU's for this program?

Just curious on how the re-application process will work.

Re-application

Thank you for the information. So when we go to re-apply next year will we have to do the same initial application....or just show that we completed the 9 special CEU's for this program?

Just curious on how the re-application process will work.

Great question! We're still ironing out some of the finer details of the re-application process, so I hesitate to announce with complete finality what it will be like. We're trying to keep it a streamlined process, but there are definitely some unique situations we need to consider, like when an individual re-applies for Recognition status, but at a different level. I've made a note to myself to post information in this forum once we have details on what the re-application process will be like -- once we've got it completely figured out with the Recognition Panel, the Membership department, and a few other interested individuals. Some of these key people are out of the office currently, so expect to hear something from me by the second week of February.

Thank you for responding. I am hoping that we will just have to complete the courses to remain active without having to reapply (other than paying our fee :eek:).

Feedback

Thanks for all the great feedback and information! It's fascinating to be involved in this new initiative and learn the nuances together.

Lms question

Good morning, I was approved since January but have not received anything since my approval. Can someone tell me how does it work?

Linda McDonald
Nassau, Bahamas

Last edited:
Program Updates

I know I promised an update a couple weeks ago on how renewals would be working, and I'm sorry for the delay. I got caught up in the updates to the Program and helped coordinate the email that went out on Monday to everyone instead.

First, let me fulfill my promise, albeit a little late, and let you know the plan for renewals. Then I'll mention a recap on the program updates, as I've heard from a couple people that they didn't get the Monday email for some reason (side note - when we send emails en masse, they sometimes get blocked by various filters or firewalls, or end up in a Junk/Spam folder, especially if they're going to a work email address).

RENEWALS (some of this information relates to the program updates, so if something is confusing, keep reading):
  • A year from your approval date, you'll be up for renewal.
  • You'll need to reapply with another application, which will need to be reviewed again, to maintain your status. However, the renewal application will not include the work experience section (as that will have already been verified), just engagement points, disclaimer/agreement, employer recommendation, and a new article (500 words or more).
  • The application review fee ($25) will still apply to renewals.

PROGRAM UPDATES OVERVIEW (if you didn't get the email this week for some reason):
  • One primary purpose of the program is to help our members demonstrate their ability to go above and beyond certification in a way that is unique from earning additional credentials. Over the past two pilot months, we’ve found the program is too cost-prohibitive to enable more members to work towards this goal. We don’t want the price holding someone back from demonstrating to employers and peers that they’re experienced and knowledgeable in healthcare.
  • The program changes rolled live this morning:
  • - Every level (Fellow, Professional, Associate) will only cost $25 to apply.
  • - There will be no educational Recognition CEUs to earn.
  • - Each new applicant will be required to submit an article (500+ words) on a healthcare topic.

For those who already paid the original program price, we're sending you AAPC Bucks tomorrow, like a rebate. The amount depends on which level you paid for, but it's more than just the difference between what you paid and the cost of the now $25 application review fee.

Again, thank you for your excitement for this program - we're working to make it better every day. We recently made the Recognition certificate available online (log in and hover over "My AAPC" to download it), and Recognition status now shows up in our Credential Verification as well. Our IT team is currently in the process of adding some Recognition features for Local Chapters web pages and forum pages (stay tuned for updates!).

Couple of questions

Hi Dblackmer:

Apologies as you might have addressed this previously:

1) For the article, do we need to wait until the end of the year to submit it, or can we submit it for review for publication now and have a copy sent for the reapplication?

The other question I've sent in a PM.

Thanks.

Hi Dblackmer:

Apologies as you might have addressed this previously:

1) For the article, do we need to wait until the end of the year to submit it, or can we submit it for review for publication now and have a copy sent for the reapplication?

The other question I've sent in a PM.

Thanks.

By all means, we'll happily take article submissions now! Feel free to email them to brad.ericson@aapc.com and g.john.verhovshek@aapc.com. If your article is published, just make sure that you note that when submitting the renewal application.

Last edited:
Recongnition program

Hello, I need some information about the program--so if I want to do the Associate or professional does the requirements need to be done within the year?

Hello, I need some information about the program--so if I want to do the Associate or professional does the requirements need to be done within the year?

Thanks - great question with a semi-complicated answer. It depends on which section of the application we're referencing...

Work Experience:
Based on your education, you can get a "credit" towards your years of work experience. If this education is in the form of a 4-year degree (or more-year-degree!), there's no time limit on when that was earned. If this education is in the form of extra CEUs, they need to be in your current CEU Tracker, not in a past submission. For every extra 18 CEUs you have in your current CEU Tracker, that counts as 1 year of work experience credit. For instance, if you have 36 CEUs due currently, and 54 in your Tracker, that counts as 1 year of work experience credit. The date of those CEUs is not important, just the fact that they're in your current Tracker, not a past submission.

Engagement Points:
Engagement points must be earned within two years (24 months) from when the application was submitted. There are only two exceptions to this rule: AAPC membership and the previous leadership categories, neither of which have date limits regarding how far back you can go. However, the AAPC membership category DOES have a limit regarding how many total points can be earned from this one category (5).

I hope that helped clarify. This is all outlined in the application and application instructions as well, for quick reference when you're applying.

Thank you for clarifying the program changes. In the approval email I received last week there was reference to a separate email that would be sent for access to the courses in the AAPC Learning Center. With the program changes, will I still be receiving that access? Who should I contact if I haven't received the separate email? I understand that the CEUs are no longer a requirement, but would still like to view the available content.
Thanks!

Thank you for clarifying the program changes. In the approval email I received last week there was reference to a separate email that would be sent for access to the courses in the AAPC Learning Center. With the program changes, will I still be receiving that access? Who should I contact if I haven't received the separate email? I understand that the CEUs are no longer a requirement, but would still like to view the available content.
Thanks!

Lindsay - Yes, you'll still receive the separate email with access to the one Recognition training course that's in the AAPC Learning Center (your application and acceptance was early enough). I'll work on having that email sent to you this week. I'm hoping to get it out to you today, but there are a few other people and systems involved in the process. I'm sorry for the delay!

Recon program

So when is a good idea to apply? I mean I have some of the requirements done but not all and if it needs to be done within 24 months of the submitted application I can certainly do that?

So when is a good idea to apply? I mean I have some of the requirements done but not all and if it needs to be done within 24 months of the submitted application I can certainly do that?

Sorry, I should have clarified the 24 months concept. That's meaning 24 months prior to submitting the application. So you should only apply when you've got all the engagement points accomplished already (and they've all been accomplished within the past 24 months).

Some have found that it's convenient to apply around the beginning of the month in which they're due for membership renewal. Assuming they submit all the proper documentation up front, they'll most likely be approved that same month. Yes, we ask to allow for 4-8 weeks for processing applications, but we have a pretty good turnaround time so far. Those who do this can remember just one renewal month then - for membership, CEUs, and recognition status.

Others prefer to take the opposite route for a different, but related reason. They apply any month other than the month in which they're due for membership renewal. They keep track of their renewal dates fine (and we'll send reminders, too, as needed), but they don't want extra AAPC costs compiling in their renewal month.

So it's really your call as to what would work better for you. The convenience of one month to remember AAPC renewal or the ability to spread out renewal fees.

Renewals Question - Employer Recommendation Form

I had a question about the renewal application process. We will need to get a new employer recommendation form filled out by our employer when we renew every year? I'm sure my Director doesn't mind because she was pretty excited about the program but I kind of feel bad that I'm going to have to ask her for that every year and have her re-scan it back to me. I just wanted to make sure I read that part correctly. The only difference in the renewal will be that we won't have to list the job experience portion of the application then? Thank you so much for your time!

I had a question about the renewal application process. We will need to get a new employer recommendation form filled out by our employer when we renew every year? I'm sure my Director doesn't mind because she was pretty excited about the program but I kind of feel bad that I'm going to have to ask her for that every year and have her re-scan it back to me. I just wanted to make sure I read that part correctly. The only difference in the renewal will be that we won't have to list the job experience portion of the application then? Thank you so much for your time!

You're correct, the employer/client recommendation form will still be part of the renewal process. The reasoning behind that decision is that we want to make sure those who are in the program are maintaining a high standard of occupational professionalism and work ethic, year after year. Yes, that means employers are going to have to check a few boxes and sign their names every year. I would think an annual performance review would be a perfect time to have that paper ready for a supervisor's signature. And for those who work in such flexible environments where performance isn't evaluated at regular intervals, this form could provide an excellent opportunity to have a discussion with the supervisor about performance nonetheless. Such discussions usually lead to goal-setting and general improvements, but they also often lead to raises, promotions, etc.!

AAPC Bucks

Hello. I have recently received some AAPC Bucks from this program. I'm not sure where these will be accepted. I was hoping use it to cover a part of my Code Lookup renewal, but it appears to be not valid for membership services/renewal. Would the Code Lookup count as membership/renewal, or would it be applicable to use my AAPC bucks for this?

Thank you kindly in advance.

BettyPP, CPC,CPMA,CEMC Augusta GA

JudyW;403287]Welcome to all members of the recognition program, Fellows, Professionals and Associates. Hopefully we can help each other in the coming months with any questions that might come up. ;) What are the qualifications of becoming a Fellow, Associate and/or Professional? I just saw the recognition list in Healthcare Business Monthly.:eek:

I have a question regarding the employment section. What if you cannot remember a supervisor's name/number (almost 10 years ago!) and/or they are no longer employed at the organization? Thank you!

JudyW;403287]Welcome to all members of the recognition program, Fellows, Professionals and Associates. Hopefully we can help each other in the coming months with any questions that might come up. ;) What are the qualifications of becoming a Fellow, Associate and/or Professional? I just saw the recognition list in Healthcare Business Monthly.:eek:

If you hover over "Membership" and go down to "Recognition Program" it gives all the details/qualifications of each title.

Where to submit articles

What email address do we use to submit an article? I submitted one to info@aapc.com, requesting confirmation of receipt. I have not received any confirmation though.
Thanks in advance for your reply.:)

This was posted earlier and thought I would share it.

By all means, we'll happily take article submissions now! Feel free to email them to brad.ericson@aapc.com and g.john.verhovshek@aapc.com. If your article is published, just make sure that you note that when submitting the renewal application.

Renewal Information

Hi,

I read through the thread, and didn't see answers to the following. But I apologize if I missed them.

It is my understanding that we will have to complete a 500 word article, when we come up for renewal. What is the article supposed to be on? Can it be "geared" towards being a Local Chapter Officer? Can you provide me with some ideas please?

Also, it appears that these articles are going to be published. Is that correct? If so, should we plan to submit them prior to our renewal to assure that they are published by renewal dates?

Thank you for your assistance.

Re: Articles

You can write on whatever you feel as if you have subject expertise on. I've got a strong A/R slant and one of the articles which I did submit for publishing is for that.

And yes, if you submit the article for publishing you can utilize such if they publish it. Just mention, afaik, when it was published when you renew your fees.

I have a question regarding the employment section. What if you cannot remember a supervisor's name/number (almost 10 years ago!) and/or they are no longer employed at the organization? Thank you!

Can anyone answer this? Thank you!

Salary

Has anyone that has added the additional recognition inquired their employer regarding if this could impact their current salary? Originally when this program started, before the recent changes, I decided nopt to proceed because it would not imapct may pay rate per my HR department. I am still quite interested and I am hoping that someone may have advice or information that they provided to their HR.

Thank you!

Unknown Name

If you can't remember a supervisor's direct phone number, you can always list the general number for the organization (or the department's number if you can remember it). Regarding name, as you state the same person may not even be in that position any longer, or the person's name has changed. In my case, word-of-mouth told me that my previous supervisor "Jane Simmons" is divorced now from "Mr. Simmons" and returned to her former name. I still list her as "Jane Simmons" because I have no idea what her former name is and I can't find her on social media, which doesn't surprise me knowing how she felt about technology 10 years ago--and because I don't have her current name.

If you can't remember the last name of your own "Jane Simmons", just write "Jane" and her title when she was your supervisor. It is my understanding that it's mostly the supervisor's title that interests those who ask; that is, they can better understand your place in the hierarchy when given your title and that of your supervisor. Supervisor's title & organization's general number should work for people who call. Also, don't give up on social media--I find a lot of people on LinkedIn, by visiting an old employer's site, by googling my old employer and the person's position, or even more often by googling what I knew was my old supervisor's email: "jsimmons@organization.org". It's amazing what online information is attached to people's professional email addresses! (Once, I found an executive contact at my mortgage lender and directed what had become months of repetitive questions and no answers at the front line to him--and he had it resolved within a week!). Don't discount your own search.

linked in

Hello All!

I found out today I was accepted as an AAPC Fellow! Hurray!! One question I had for everyone, how are you adding this to your Linkedin profiles? Thank you in advance!

Bridget Toomey, CPC, CPB, AAPC Fellow

I received Professional status in Nov 2017. Felt very proud. They make applying a challenge, I feel like anything received from them is earned. They make us work for it! The 500 word article, employer recommendation, etc. But that's ok. It solidifies my commitment to my field!