Wiki methotrexate

Korbc

Guru
Best answers
hey guys
my office orders 250mg of methotrexate per 10ml
providers are sending charges over with code j9250..... which i see is for 50mg

how would i charge for these 2 scenarios

Methotrexate IM injection. Administered 3.6ml (1.8ml per syringe).

Methotrexate 250 mg given to patient. 1.58ml administered to Right Gluteal UOQ and 1.58ml administered to Left Gluteal UOQ without difficulty.

thanks!

hey guys
my office orders 250mg of methotrexate per 10ml
providers are sending charges over with code j9250..... which i see is for 50mg

how would i charge for these 2 scenariosMethotrexate IM injection. Administered 3.6ml (1.8ml per syringe).

Methotrexate 250 mg given to patient. 1.58ml administered to Right Gluteal UOQ and 1.58ml administered to Left Gluteal UOQ without difficulty.

thanks!
Will you do me a favor and obtain the NDC number for the drug your office orders? The reason I am asking is that the FDA does not list a 10 ml vial with 250mg on its site for this drug. The dosage is calculated by the physician per body surface so the amount would vary from patient to patient and 250mg/10ml implies that if you gave 1 ML of the drug, the patient would be receiving a dosage of 25 mg. This does not match with the statement that she got 250mg via 3.6 ml administered. The code J9250 is specifically based on the MG of the drug administered, not the ML in the syringe. So I think you need more information from the provider on the exact dosage in order to correctly code and also let them know the J9250 is dosage specific.

Will you do me a favor and obtain the NDC number for the drug your office orders? The reason I am asking is that the FDA does not list a 10 ml vial with 250mg on its site for this drug. The dosage is calculated by the physician per body surface so the amount would vary from patient to patient and 250mg/10ml implies that if you gave 1 ML of the drug, the patient would be receiving a dosage of 25 mg. This does not match with the statement that she got 250mg via 3.6 ml administered. The code J9250 is specifically based on the MG of the drug administered, not the ML in the syringe. So I think you need more information from the provider on the exact dosage in order to correctly code and also let them know the J9250 is dosage specific.
yeah it had me highly confused this is what was documented for NDC :) thank you so much, ms.nielynco your always a life savor!
NDC:63323-123-10
Lot: 6128714
Exp: 6/2024

one one site it says 250 mg per 10 mL (25 mg per mL) so I guess I'll go off the 25mg per ml

i found it on this site for that ndc

I forgot there's no code for 25mg. they're sending it through with the 5mg amount so i guess... question is do i charge more units of j9250 or do i charge less units of j9260 of the 50mg......right?

o_Oo_O

I forgot there's no code for 25mg. they're sending it through with the 5mg amount so i guess... question is do i charge more units of j9250 or do i charge less units of j9260 of the 50mg......right?

o_Oo_O
It may not matter once you do the math except how the payer might look at it. If you billed J9250 (5mg dose) for the 90mg injected (3.6 ML total X 25 MG per ML) you would report a quantity 18. If you billed J9260 for this quantity you would get a quantity of 1.8. I think I would got with the J9260 with a smaller quantity.

thanks so much as always! i think the j9260 makes more sense to
It may not matter once you do the math except how the payer might look at it. If you billed J9250 (5mg dose) for the 90mg injected (3.6 ML total X 25 MG per ML) you would report a quantity 18. If you billed J9260 for this quantity you would get a quantity of 1.8. I think I would got with the J9260 with a smaller quantity.