Wiki Mid nasal stenosis dilation?

AN2114

Guru
Best answers
Is there a code for mid nasal stenosis dilation? I can only find codes for balloon dilation for the sinus and the doctor used a urethral dilator during a nasal endoscopy for the dilation.

Procedure: Drug induced sleep endoscopy, microtelescopic direct laryngoscopy, bronchoscopy, supraglotoplasty, right arytenoidectomy, injection laryngoplasty of type 1 laryngeal cleft, esophagoscopy and biopsies, right mid-nasal stenosis dilation.

Procedure: ..........."During drug induced nasal endoscopy the patient's right nare was noted to be markedly stenosis. This nare was dilated using urethral dilators with great improvement in internal diameter of stenosis."

Is there a code for mid nasal stenosis dilation? I can only find codes for balloon dilation for the sinus and the doctor used a urethral dilator during a nasal endoscopy for the dilation.

Procedure: Drug induced sleep endoscopy, microtelescopic direct laryngoscopy, bronchoscopy, supraglotoplasty, right arytenoidectomy, injection laryngoplasty of type 1 laryngeal cleft, esophagoscopy and biopsies, right mid-nasal stenosis dilation.

Procedure: ..........."During drug induced nasal endoscopy the patient's right nare was noted to be markedly stenosis. This nare was dilated using urethral dilators with great improvement in internal diameter of stenosis."

Good Morning, There is no CPT code for such a procedure and most likely you will have to use a miscellaneous nasal code. The question you have to ask yourself is how much do you think you will get for this 7th procedure? Did the surgeon do it to gain access or visibility? Did you prior auth it? as apparently this was subsequent finding, did the patient complain of breathing issues? was this ever conservatively treated prior to surgery? Sorry, my old ENT instincts come into play here with these types of situations. Pick your battles, time spent on a procedure that is subject to the multiple procedure discount and may not warrant reimbursement is not worth your time. I agree reporting all procedures are important, I think all surgeons should get credit for everything they do, but they also must be realistic in that process.

Jennifer
Coding Analyst

T

Good Morning, There is no CPT code for such a procedure and most likely you will have to use a miscellaneous nasal code. The question you have to ask yourself is how much do you think you will get for this 7th procedure? Did the surgeon do it to gain access or visibility? Did you prior auth it? as apparently this was subsequent finding, did the patient complain of breathing issues? was this ever conservatively treated prior to surgery? Sorry, my old ENT instincts come into play here with these types of situations. Pick your battles, time spent on a procedure that is subject to the multiple procedure discount and may not warrant reimbursement is not worth your time. I agree reporting all procedures are important, I think all surgeons should get credit for everything they do, but they also must be realistic in that process.

Jennifer
Coding Analyst

T
Thank you!