Wiki Midwife Issue

Best answers
Ok, i have an midwife billing for NSVD and a manual removal- reduction, retained placenta. The NSVD part is good but the maual removal reduction, retained placenta ( 59866) is in question. The thing I nor my sup has never seen a midwife bill for the reduction, so we wanted to know if it can be done?

Manual removal of retained placenta would be billed as 59414 but ONLY when it is performed by a different physician/NPP. Otherwise; the manual removal of a retained placenta is included in the NSVD service (both the Global and Non-Global codes) when performed by the same physician/NPP and cannot be unbundled. The code you referenced (59866) is for multiFETAL reduction and is only billed when the physician/NPP reduces a multifetal pregnancy by eliminating one or more fetuses to increase the viability of the remaining fetus(es). Hope this helps!

Manual removal of retained placenta would be billed as 59414 but ONLY when it is performed by a different physician/NPP. Otherwise; the manual removal of a retained placenta is included in the NSVD service (both the Global and Non-Global codes) when performed by the same physician/NPP and cannot be unbundled. The code you referenced (59866) is for multiFETAL reduction and is only billed when the physician/NPP reduces a multifetal pregnancy by eliminating one or more fetuses to increase the viability of the remaining fetus(es). Hope this helps!

Yes, this does. Ok, let me specifiy some more details. It was a twin pregnancy and another physician did do the manual extraction of the retained twin via placenta and billed with the 59414-59. The CNM did NSVD but also included the manual reduction also. So if I understood correctly I cannot give the CNM credit for reduction?