Wiki Missouri Medicaid Healthy Blue

belindapearl

Networker
Best answers
Is anyone else having issues with Medicaid Healthy Blue? We started having several of our E&M visits being denied for being in global. I appealed them, the appeal was denied stating they are following MOHealthnet guidelines on global. Well MOHealthnet guidelines is there is a 30 day global on any procedure reimbursing more than $75. So I contacted our Healthy Blue rep and my response was they are following the 30 day global, but they do not have to follow the $75 rule. So basically if you perform any procedure the patient is in a 30 day global. An example a new patient came in for an injection (20600) it only pays I think around $30, so we get paid for the injection, no E&M even though are new, then for the 2 week follow up we can not bill an E&M. They state they are following correct coding policies. I asked what policies but have not gotten a response.

I have never had an insurance to make up their own rules like this. I have emailed MOHealthnet rep, I don't think this is going to help much. We will have to stop taking Healthy Blue, because our office can not afford to see them.

Any suggestions?

This seems odd to me, because an injection does not have a global period. What exactly is being billed for the visits after the injection for CPT, just an E/M?

This seems odd to me, because an injection does not have a global period. What exactly is being billed for the visits after the injection for CPT, just an E/M?
Yes, it was just an E&M visit. They are stating that they are following correct coding guidelines. When I asked what guidelines they are following they did not reply. They also state that they do not have to follow our state Medicaid guidelines

I don't think that is correct, and I don't think I'd really want to do this either, but I wonder if you append a modifier 24.

Like I said, I think the whole denial is odd. I work denials/edits daily and have never heard of this.