Wiki Mobility Evaluation

cmercado0526

Best answers
Good morning! When a patient comes in for the required 'face-to-face examination' before Medicare will cover a Power Mobility Device, can we use V68.01, Encounter for Disability Examination, for the diagnosis? Or is there another one out there somewhere?
Thanks!

http://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Edu...k-MLN/MLNMattersArticles/downloads/se1112.pdf

This has CMS info on PMD. When I coded our infrequent evaluations for these, we used the diagnosis for whatever was the underlying issue, like COPD or post polio syndrome. We were not doing a disability examination, but the PMD exam and answering those specific questions without performing a complete physical examination that would meet a V code. Usually it was a 99215 with 138 for the dx code.

Thanks for the link. I have the full description of what is needed, criteria, documentation, etc, but I guess I'm just a bit hesitant to code the visit just like it was a typical visit for follow-up and treatment of the underlying issue. It isn't since the documentation has to state the reason for the visit is mobility examination. So with that I would also have a hard time justifying medical necessity to code a 99215. Is there anything wrong with using G9156? V68.01 does not require a complete physical examination. And since visit isn't to evaluate and manage the patient's condition - it's to satisfy the increasing mountains of 'paperwork' Medicare requires to try to avoid the fraudulent claims - I just thought it might sound reasonable to use this. If one needs a PMD, they must have a disability of some sort.
Sorry for going on and on............I was hoping someone might do these all the time. :)