Wiki Moderate anxiety - more specific code

ljohnjan

New
Best answers
I have a denial for F41.9 that is needing a more specific code. However, the provider documented as "moderate anxiety" (and is unable to specify further). After reading the description for F41.8, I am not convinced that moderate would be considered as "other anxiety". Any thoughts on this?

Depression and anxiety often co-exist. Check with your provider. Show the provider the ICD-10 codes. I find providers will easily pick a payable code when they see the options.
EHR sometimes limits the search due to time. I see providers picking unspecified codes just because its quick and gets them on the way to the next chart.

Depression and anxiety often co-exist. Check with your provider. Show the provider the ICD-10 codes. I find providers will easily pick a payable code when they see the options.
EHR sometimes limits the search due to time. I see providers picking unspecified codes just because its quick and gets them on the way to the next chart.

Please don't do this. You can't show the provider a list of payable ICD-10 codes and have them pick one. That's a compliance issue.

The diagnosis code selected has to be supported by the provider's documentation. It doesn't have to be the code the provider selected originally in the EHR - you as the coder can review the documentation to see if another code would be supported.

You can also query the provider for clarification, but it has to be a non-leading query.

If your provider's documentation is insufficient, that's an education opportunity for future claims. But you can't show them what codes would be payable for this specific encounter and let them pick on.