Wiki Modified fetal biophysical profile

klcampbe

New
Best answers
We have providers performing a modified BPP, where an ultrasound for amniotic fluid volume index is combined with an NST. I am hearing conflicting information about how to code for this service. Some recommend reporting 76815 with 59025, and others recommend reporting the BPP (76819). Any recommendations?

Yes, I've looked at that code. The problem, is they aren't doing 3 of the other 4 parts of the test. A BPP requires 1) fetal trunk and extremity movement; 2) fetal tone; 3) fetal breathing movement; 4) amniotic fluid volume;. They only do the AFI with the NST, so I'm not sure that I can report the BPP with NST.

Thanks for your help.

If they only do an AFI then I would code a brief u/s 76815 along with the nst 59025.

Given the paranthetical note following code 76819 "(for AFI without non-stress test, use 76815)," and Meciare's CCI edit which precludes the reporting of 76815 and 59025 together unless performed during separate encounters, I would not recommend following the above recommendation to report these codes for the service.

I do note the CPT Assistant articles which seem to clearly show that 76818 may not be repoorted without the performance of what they call the five key components; however, given the lack of direction on which code to use, I would consider 76818 with a -52 modifier.