Wiki modifier -25 and radiology

ercoder65

Best answers
If performing an E/M in the office, and taking an xray of a patient, are you still inclined to append the 25 modifier to the E/M? I have been given conflicting answers on this question. I assumed an xray was considered a "procedure or service". Is there definitive articles on this subject? Thanks in advance.

Rich

25 mod

Modifier 25 is used to identify a significant, separately identifiable evaluation and management service performed on the same day as another procedure or service by the same provider.

25 modifier is not required for Radiology & Laboratory services. I think it is because they don't have pre or post op components and they are not considered a procedure. My rule of thumb is if it comes out of the surgery section of the CPT book I need a modifier for my OV.

Breezy,

Thanks for the info. Have you ever gotten a denial because a -25 had not been appended to an E/M on the same day as an xray?

Rich

I agree with Wendy. We have a vascular lab in our practice. Many times the patient sees the doctor first and then he decides to send them to the vas lab for a scan or ultrasound. We have never put a 25 on the OV and have never been told we need to.

-25 modifier

The -25 modifier is used to identify a significant, separately identifiable E/M service when another service/procedure is performed on the same date, by the same physician.

If you are "sending the patient for an MRI" I would guess that you are not performing the MRI yourself, so no -25 modifier is needed on the OV.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

mri

Thanks Tessa,
We have been debating at the office over the use of the modifier 25. I have been looking for material on the subject to try and resolve our inconsistenices when using this modifier. We are also dealing with the modifier 57 too. I have read the guidelines and can see how different people can interpet it so differently. We are now trying to understand the incident to stuff. Crazy crazy days ahead.

Rich
HTML:
[HTML]
[/HTML]