• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

modifier-25 for radiology in physician Office

ugocodergirl

Best answers
Can you please let me know if your practice adds a -25 in the physician office/clinic setting when an xray is done in the office. As a remote/traveling coder all of the clinics I've coded for have not applied a -25; but now I'm coding in a hospital with managers that are well informed, and they state that office setting is different from outpatient. I know that in out patient if the procedure has an X or A status indicator it's not necessary, and the codes are usually appended if they do a procedure with an S or T status indicater. Can you please include a source? I read the CMS info that included a -25 with radiology, but it also included another procedure. Wouldn't the work done by the physician be picked up with the -26? Please help me; I really like to stay updated on the most ucurrent info. Does adding the -25 increase the revenue? Wouldn't that create a red flag, if they do xrays all the time?

pwilkie

Contributor
Best answers
Modifier 25

My understanding of 25 is that it identifies a separate E/M service performed during the same session as a procedure. So if the radiologist performs an E/M at the same time as the x-ray and it was medically necessary they could use it on the E/M code.

ugocodergirl

Best answers
In my documentation I only see the physicians documentation that an xray was done; then I get a radiology report; then a note from the doctor summarizing the report. What extra procedure has the physician done? If he read and interpreted the report that would be covered in the EM; so I don't see how that is seperate.

jmcpolin

True Blue
Best answers
Is your radiologist seeing patients in the office and doing a history physical and medical decision making on top of reading the xray?

OCD_coder

True Blue
Best answers
Please be aware that this requirement for a mod-25 when only a radiology procedure is done is payor driven. Please, please, please find out from the payor if that is what they are really requiring before a mod-25 is added - meaning get their own policy in writing first.

Mod-25 is when a minor surgical procedure is done on the same day as an evaluation and management. Radiology procedures are NOT minor surgery.

By using a mod-25 just to get payment is over use of the mod-25 and it WILL raise red flags. Especially with all Medicare contractors. This is a huge RAC audit trigger and many other payors like BCBS and Aetna are pursuing the same data mining for this issue.

ugocodergirl

Best answers
Mod -25 and xrai in physician practice setting

Thats what I thought, but we use the 3M system and my manager says that 3m is asking for a -25 for clinics, but not for facility coding.

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
In the outpatient setting some radiology procedures are a Status S such as MRI and ultrasound, therefore any clinic visits or ER visits also billed on the claim must have a 25 modifier. The same definition applies however meaning if the patient came in for the purpose of the procedure then there can be no E&M billed.

Last edited:

jgf-CPC

Best answers
Appropriate Usage
Modifier 25 indicates that on the day of a procedure, the patient's condition required a significant, separately identifiable E/M service, above and beyond the usual pre and post-operative care associated with the procedure or service performed.
Use Modifier 25 with the appropriate level of E/M service.
The procedure performed has a global period listed on the Medicare Fee Schedule Relative Value File.
An E/M service may occur on the same day as a procedure and within the post-operative period of a previous procedure. Medicare allows payment when the documentation supports the 25 modifier and the 24 modifier (unrelated E/M during a post-operative period.)
Use Modifier 25 in the rare circumstance of an E/M service the day before a major surgery that is not the decision for surgery and represents a significant, separately identifiable service.