Wiki Modifier 51 with Excision of Lesions??

Best answers
Need some clarification. I am drawing a complete blank and have already had a full pot of coffee which has not done the trick.

For some reason I cannot remember if I do or do not attach 51 modifier to the multiple lesion codes when reporting lesions. I know that the first code for each classification would be a stand alone (malignant, benign) but what about the following codes?

Example: 11624, 11404, 11403

I am wanting to report this as 11624, 11404, 11403-51

Would I only need the 51 modifier on the 11403 because it is within the same main code description as 11404? or do I need to attach the 51 modifier to the 11404 as well? My brain is just not firing this morning so any assistance that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. The paragraphical information in the CPT does not state, the dscriptors do not state......

Modifier -59

For an accurate response to surgical coding questions, please post the scrubbed operative/procedure note.

Okay ... I will assume that you have three distinct lesions being removed in the same operative session ...
You want a -59 modifier to show that this was a separate lesion.
You do not need a modifier for 11624 and 11404 because the codes describe different body areas, so cannot possibly relate to the same lesion.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Last edited: