Wiki Modifier 52

tbensonite

Best answers
I could use some help with this one please.
I want to bill a Revision of Total Knee Arthroplasty but the doctor only exchanged the poly liner. It was during the global period. My question is can I bill this as 27486-52-78? Seems kind of odd to me but I'm hoping somebody can explain as the mod 52 will reduce reimbursement but so will 78. Maybe I'm just not quite awake yet:(

Thanks a bunch!

I could use some help with this one please.
I want to bill a Revision of Total Knee Arthroplasty but the doctor only exchanged the poly liner. It was during the global period. My question is can I bill this as 27486-52-78? Seems kind of odd to me but I'm hoping somebody can explain as the mod 52 will reduce reimbursement but so will 78. Maybe I'm just not quite awake yet:(

Thanks a bunch!

I agree w/ 27486-52-78 yes the 52 will reduce your pay but it is appropriate - he did not revise a "full" component. the 78 will reduce pay- but it does not change your global, so you are not stuck with another 90 days of no charge.

I use the 52 a lot on xrays - my docs don't like name # of films/views.

Thank you so much. I really wrestled with this because I could only imagine my doc getting paid a couple dollars for what he did but we do have to comply with correct coding principals. I appreciate your response:eek: