Wiki modifier CR

alices

Guru
Best answers
Hi can someone please help me understand the CR modifier? Everything I could find says it goes on HCPCS codes, but does anyone know if they also go on CPT codes, and if so where would I find this at? I looked on the MLN website it mentions HCPCS but I didnt see anything about the CPTs, and some people I talked to seem to think it should be on CPT codes too. Thank you!

If Medicare hasn't instructed you to use it, you don't use it.

Further Instructions in the Event of a Disaster or Emergency
Additional Information:
In the event of a disaster or emergency, CMS will issue specific guidance to Medicare contractors that will contain a summary of the Secretary's declaration (if any); specify the geographic areas affected by any declarations of a disaster or emergency; specify what formal waivers and/or informal waivers, if any, have been authorized; specify the beginning and end dates that apply to the use of the DR condition code and/or the CR modifier; and specify what other uses of the condition code and/or modifier, if any, will be mandatory for the particular disaster/emergency.

Incorrect Use
* Using it at supplier discretion

I am also a bit confused on the CR and CS modifier. I am understanding the CS is now applied to any service related to Covid-19 or possible Covid-19. Don't use CR at all???

Attachments

• CS WPS Modifier.pdf
    212.3 KB · Views: 38
I am also a bit confused on the CR and CS modifier. I am understanding the CS is now applied to any service related to Covid-19 or possible Covid-19. Don't use CR at all???
I'm reading it as don't use it at all. From that document:

As a reminder, CMS is not requiring the CR modifier on telehealth services. However, consistent with current rules for telehealth services, there are two scenarios where modifiers are required on Medicare telehealth professional claims:
- Furnished as part of a federal telemedicine demonstration project in Alaska and Hawaii using asynchronous (store and forward) technology, use GQ modifier
- Furnished for diagnosis and treatment of an acute stroke, use G0 modifier