Wiki Modifier for E/M and LEEP Procedure

Kworden23

Best answers
I have a Physician who practices GYN; He will do the standard pap test, and if the results come back with ASCUS, LSIL, Dysplasia, he will perform a Colposcopy (CPT 57454). Once the patient bx comes back, if he needs to do further testing in the clinic, he will then go to a LEEP procedure (CPT 57522).

The most problems I have been having is with Molina Medicaid denying the E/M code with the modifier 25 on the 2nd visit, the LEEP; the GYN does spend time reviewing the results, what testing will be done, what the patient can expect, etc. I append modifier 58 to the CPT 57522 for staged or related procedure. However, the E/M code keeps getting denied because of the 25 modifier.

I cannot use 24 because it is not unrelated to the Colp 57454. This is considered a 30-60 day Global period by this insurance. Can anyone help so I can get the E/M paid by the insurance? The pregnancy test before invasive procedures and the LEEP is paid, but not my E/M.

Thank you!

It would depend on the documentation. From what I can tell, the second visit would not be separately identifiable and an E/M should not be charged, only the procedure.

"GYN does spend time reviewing the results, what testing will be done, what the patient can expect, etc."

What you describe here is considered a component of the procedure and would not be reported separately.